How long does Balsamic vinegar last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe it would not have spoilt.

That isn't to say that the quality would not have suffered though, but I'm not sure. If it smells allright, have a little taste.

It lasts FOREVER - & I don't even have mine in the fridge. Whether cheapies or good ones, so long as it's in a relatively cool, dry place, vinegars - at least for me - never seem to spoil. In fact, I just used some Tarragon White Wine vinegar in a recipe & I tasted the vinegar first because it's been around for a long time in the pantry. It tasted terrific - no bitterness or "off" flavor. I've found this to be the same with all of my vinegars, balsamics included. And again - mine are in the pantry, not the fridge.

It will last indefinately without refrigeration! The really good stuff is aged for years ... generations even ... the most expensive can in fact be over 100+ years old. I doubt many of us have a bottle of that true elixer that is produced and graded by the standards of the Consorzio Tra Produttori Dell’aceto Balsamico Tradizionale Di Modena sitting around in our kitchen.

I have seen some websites that list the shelf life of products claim that vinegar is only good for 2 years unopened, 1 year after opening, however studies have been done that do not shown that to be true. You might find the information on vinegar at The Vinegar Institute website of interest.

Old vinegar sometimes develops some white stuff which floats on top -- just skim and toss that. Also, like wine, vinegars will develop sediment that falls to the bottom of the bottle. Ignore it.

Considering that balsamic vinegar is aged many, many years, I think your vinegar is fine. Vinegar lasts many years unrefrig. It may become more concentrated over the years but balsamic vinegar that is over 50 yrs old is syrupy and very mild and costs a small fortune.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm glad to know that I don't have to refrigerate my vinegars. I never have refrigerated my cidar or white vinegars, but for some reason I thought the wine and balsamic vinegars might spoil. Duh...

Okay, so, is my open bottle of balsamic .... that I've had for maybe 10 years and use sparingly .... getting BETTER?

Lee

Constance said:
I never have refrigerated my cidar or white vinegars, but for some reason I thought the wine and balsamic vinegars might spoil. Duh...

Perhaps its because you hold them in such high regard? :-p They're special to you, and they stand out from the rest!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom