HP/Brown sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnyjonny_uk

Senior Cook
Hi does anybody know how to make a homemade version of this famous sauce? Ive moved to Moscow and they dont sell it here and a recipe im trying to make is asking for it so i would love to hear your ideas.

Thanks

Jonny

Typically of my recipes, I am afraid my amounts are sketchy, but this was what my mother used for Brown Sauce (HP style)when we had postings where UK stuff was unobtainable:

tomatos, (my guess is about a dozen), abput a cup of brown sugar, finley chopped onion, glug of vingar (malt), allspice, salt and pepper, dash of worcester sauce, squeeze of lemon, and a dash of hot chilli sauce/a bit of finely chopped fresh chili. It would simmer on the hob for an afternoon before being strained and put in a couple of jars. I think the worcestershire sauce is vital, but is usually easier to get hold of.

It is. I can't really validate that its a really close version to the HP bottled version, but its a sort of deeper, fruitier but still not too intense alternative to ketchup. Best served with crispy bacon, hot cheap white sliced bread heavily buttered or lightly fried for that Greasy Spoon favourite the Bacon Butty. These are really standard fare, but they are almost traditionally on the horse show scene over here, you see these green with nerves, or red faced excited kids lining up for there bacon butties in the lorry park! How I did not spend every Sunday of my childhood being ill with that greasy food on a nervous tummy I'll never know!

HP is the makers name, like Kraft, the brand. There are other Brown Sauces, but, then there is HP!

fyi, this is hp sauce: HP Coming soon

my irish buddies pronounce it "haich" p sauce.
i prefer an irish version of brown sauce, called chef sauce.

it's very much like a-1 sauce in america.

did you know that the heinz corp. just bought the parent company that makes hp sauce, and is closing the plant in aston, england, moving production to the netherlands?
the sale was opposed in parliament, but was recently given the go ahead. production should transfer by march of this year.

the name hp comes from the inventor of the recipe, harry palmer, who sold it to pay off gambling debts, or so the story goes.

Last edited:
Wow BT, I hereby dub you honoury UK information service! I knew none of that bar the takeover/Aston plant closure!

lol lulu, i'm just stepping in for kyles or yt for the moment.

i used to read a few irish and english newspapers daily, over a pint (or six) in my local, and i like to watch bbc news.
helps to keep a good perspective when watching american news agencies.

now if i only new arabic, i could watch al jazeera.

Last edited:
Thanks for your ideas on making HP sauce, i look forward to trying it out and will let you know how it tastes!!

As for the name HP, i always thought it stood for Houses of Parliament because there is a picture of Westminster on the bottle which is part of parliament, then i found this information that mentions Harry Palmer and Houses of Parliament but the latter seems more likely.

The original recipe for HP Sauce was invented and developed by Frederick Gibson Garton, a grocer from Nottingham. He registered the name H.P. Sauce in 1896. Garton called the sauce HP because he had heard that a restaurant in the Houses of Parliament had begun serving it (indeed, bottle labels today carry a picture of the Palace of Westminster). Garton sold the recipe and HP brand for the sum of £150 and the settlement of some unpaid bills to Edwin Samson Moore. Moore, the founder of the Midlands Vinegar Company (the forerunner of HP Foods) subsequently launched HP Sauce in 1903.
Some stories suggest that the name HP was derived from the name Harry Palmer. Palmer was said to have invented the recipe and sold the product as "Harry Palmer's Famous Epsom Sauce". The story then goes that Palmer, an avid gambler at the Epsom races, was forced to sell the recipe (to cover his debts) to F.G. Garton, a grocer from Nottingham. However, there is no evidence in the official history of the brand to show Palmer existed, or had any claim to the development of the recipe. It also seems unlikely that Garton, a grocer from the Midlands would have come in contact with a gambler from the South of England.

HP sauce is the best! best enjoyed in a bacon sandwich or as I did tonight, adding it to some veggies cooking in a wok and mix it in. Gives stir fry a great flavour!

I lOVE HP sauce! For those who don't know it, think of it a bit like the American Ketchup, except it's brown, and tastes better!

I discovered this recipe, haven't tried it. I'd be using treacle instead of molasses, however. In Australia, molasses is a stock-food!
Homemade H.P. Sauce
1 pint (600ml) brown vinegar
2 teaspoons mustard
2 teaspoons white sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon cloves
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Mix all ingredients and boil together for 20 minutes. Bottle when cooled.

www.brownsauce.org » The HP Sauce Story

That looks better than my mother's recipe does Daisy, I'd try yours ather than the one I posted...but should it have some tomato in it somewhere?

YES! HP Sauce rules. Wonderful, delicious, slightly tart, spicy, mmmmm.

HP has the following ingredients:
Malt Vinegar
Tomatoes
Tamarind
Dates
Onion
Sugar
Salt
Raisins
Flour
Soy sauce
Mustard