"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 05-08-2006, 10:48 PM   #11
Head Chef

Now, I feel very stupid. I guess I should toss that garlic that is still sitting in the oil cooling....

The funny thing...I use this garlic specifically on my garlic bread. The last few times I made it (with recycled oil), we both had intestinal issues...thought it was just too much oil and butter, etc....

I could have been poisoning us the whole time! Thank you SO much for the info!!

Now, do I tell HIM that I amost poisoned us or not.....hmmm....

Old 05-08-2006, 11:20 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I haven't read the thread. You can do it by gently heating oil with sliced garlic. You CAN'T keep it very long because of the problem of botulinum--one week in the fridge.

Old 05-09-2006, 12:55 AM   #13
Master Chef

To borrow from the University of Georgia's USDA co-op website (National Center for Home Food Preservation):

"Herbs and oils are both low-acid and together could support the growth of the disease-causing Clostridium botulinum bacteria. Oils may be flavored with herbs if they are made up for fresh use, stored in the refrigerator and used within 2 to 3 days. There are no canning recommendations. Fresh herbs must be washed well and dried completely before storing in the oil. The very best sanitation and personal hygiene practices must be used. Pesto is an uncooked seasoning mixture of herbs, usually including fresh basil, and some oil. It may be frozen for long term storage; there are no home canning recommendations. You will see these products made commercially; however, additives, preservatives and processing controls not available for home recipes are used."

Personally, I don't prepare infused oils more than a day or two in advance of when they will be used - most often on the day they will be used. I do it pretty much the way IronChef described ... since I am trying to extract the maximum amount of flavor from the herbs I start with everything cold (room temp). I put a cold pan on a cold burner, add the oil and crushed/minced garlic and/or herbs and turn the heat on to medium. When I see bubbles start to form around the herbs/garlic I cut the heat to low for about 5-10 minutes (keeping an eye on the oil to make sure the herbs or garlic are not browning - if so I remove the pan from the heat) - then with the burner turned off I let everything steep for 20-30 minutes, then strain to remove the soilds.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:26 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
Silver, remember though that in order to get the best possible flavor from most any infused oil, do not cook with it. They should be added near the end of the cooking process (off the heat) or drizzled directly over the food before serving.
Thank you everyone for the tips.

IC, re this in particular, that makes sense. I would presume it would simply kill the flavour.

I bought some flavoured EVOO at Costco recently (garlic, basil, and hot pepper) and they were delicious to cook with - also don't need to be refrigerated - and no preservatives listed on the ingredients list. I can only assume it was prepared in a different way that essentially made those flavours "part of" the oil...if that makes sense.

In any event, now I know how to make short term solutions for home, so thanks!
Old 05-09-2006, 06:18 AM   #15
Executive Chef

[quote=Silver]I bought some flavoured EVOO at Costco recently (garlic, basil, and hot pepper) and they were delicious to cook with - also don't need to be refrigerated - and no preservatives listed on the ingredients list. I can only assume it was prepared in a different way that essentially made those flavours "part of" the oil...if that makes sense.

quote]

I've often wondered about this, too, with any of the 'commercial' flavored oils. It's got to have something with the way they process the bottles once filled, that makes them safe enough to stay on the shelves in the markets. Like the difference between hot-water bath canning and pressure canning.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:29 AM   #16
Master Chef

To make commercial shelf-stable oil infused with fresh ingredients, the oil needs to be boiled for a certain amount of time or acidified.

That's why you only want to buy/use oil infused with fresh ingredients if it is from a reliable source. Not the kind of thing you want to use if it was possibly home made (like a bottle you'd buy at a craft fair or something).
Old 05-09-2006, 02:16 PM   #17
Senior Cook

I buy the oils (lemon, garlic, basil, or herbes de Provence) ready-made in the nearby supermarket:

http://www.lesieur.fr/lesieur/fr/etu...put_keydata=26

These are stable and delicious.

No need to make it yourself and use it up quickly. An inexpensive and useful luxury.

Best regards,
Alex R.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:20 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

I've also used Talyn's method in the past... it's simple, and I find that it gets the job done :-)
Old 05-09-2006, 04:46 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Jenny, tx - I figured they had to be heat processed. I just wonder how they keep the herbs/veggies, etc. looking so fresh!

Tags
None