Is it good? Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm going to be grilling some sausages shortly. My usual condiment to spread on the rolls has been to mix some real mayo, spicy mustard and roasted garlic together as a spread. I just put a couple bulbs in the garlic roaster and then realized I still had some of this mixture in a tupperware container in the fridge, but I made it probably a month ago.......

Now, I've already rinsed out the container and put it in the dishwasher, as I'm making new and how much do I really need.... but I'm wondering if it still would have been good? It smelled and looked good. I don't know whether I should treat this as a condiment or a food :huh:
Each condiment by themselves does quite nicely, but does adding the roasted garlic turn the mustard and mayo into a more perishable item?

I was leaning that way, Andy...... which is why I tossed what I had, but why not? Is it the garlic? Is it the combing of two different condiments?

I think if it was bad you would have been able to smell that it had fermented; which, is what old garlic does (at least the kind in jars). I would not have used it though.

I'm not sure how much you use but I'd be inclined to make about two weeks worth at a time - it it's no biggie I'd be even more inclined to make it weekly.

Someone with more "condiment knowledge" will come along though - I'd certainly wait to see what they have to say.

Shoot. How can something so good, be so bad? :angel: Dang garlic.

Thanks for the info. The fresh made stuff tasted good and I'll try to remember to use it up sooner.

Next time, put it in glass jars and freeze it. The texture might be compromised, don't know, but you'll be able to enjoy it again and perhaps not have to throw it out. Yeah, garlic is one of the food groups. Isn't it?

Next time, put it in glass jars and freeze it. The texture might be compromised, don't know, but you'll be able to enjoy it again and perhaps not have to throw it out. Yeah, garlic is one of the food groups. Isn't it?

Katie - I wonder how it would work if she took the spicy mustard and roasted garlic and froze is say, 1 TBS "clumps" and then when needed just thawed and mixed with fresh mayo? I'm not good at freezing stuff so this is just a thought on how maybe to not have the mayo break down from freezing. Does it sound do-able?

"she" ???!!! :rolleyes: (insert Tim "The Toolman" Allan quizzical grunt here)
:LOL:

I think my best bet is to just make as much as I think I'm going to use up right away. I sure would like to make up a jar to have on hand for sandwiches, like any other spread, but if it's not doable, it's not doable.
This has me wondering now how they can sell jars of minced garlic if it goes bad that fast.... unless it's the roasting process that shortens its life.

Anyway, two sausage subs last night and two cold ones this morning and what I made last night is all used up (burp, grunt, grunt) :pig:

Not sure why commercial garlic is safe. I know stored garlic and oil products can be done safely at home, but I am not sure what is required nor how easy or fool proof it is.

Now, if only garlic would ferment when it goes bad, maybe we could come up with some use for that...

I was leaning more towards the mayo going bad in your mixture rather than the garlic.

mustard and mayonaise practically stay good forever in the fridge..garlic doesn't. I dunno about freezing mayo, seemd to me that it would get icky. Does it say not to freeze it on the jar? I know some things do.

I know garlic in oil goes bad but what about plain garlic in a bag on the shelf? Often after a couple of weeks it starts to develope a mold. SOmetimes black, sometimes I dunno yellow or green? I just cut that out, but now Im wondering should I toss the entire bulb? Or toss the entire batch?

Good question. My garlic sits in the mesh bag on a shelf. I turn it every so often. Still, it sprouts or goes soft or the cloves get really small and dried up, but I've never had it mold. My kitchen smells very garlicky right now, but the bulbs still feel firm....
I'm wondering if I should go back to keeping my bulbs in the fridge.... but then my kitchen wouldn't smell so nice :)

I dont think you want to keep them in the fridge, my uncle is well respected horticulturist and he says "warm and moist" for garlic storage. I dont know if that's what the books say but he's the one we go to when we have a question like that...

Back
Top Bottom