"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 01-11-2008, 05:24 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Not sure why commercial garlic is safe. I know stored garlic and oil products can be done safely at home, but I am not sure what is required nor how easy or fool proof it is.

Now, if only garlic would ferment when it goes bad, maybe we could come up with some use for that...

http://www.homemade-soup-recipes.com/
ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I was leaning more towards the mayo going bad in your mixture rather than the garlic.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:49 AM   #13
Senior Cook

mustard and mayonaise practically stay good forever in the fridge..garlic doesn't. I dunno about freezing mayo, seemd to me that it would get icky. Does it say not to freeze it on the jar? I know some things do.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:08 PM   #14
Sous Chef

I know garlic in oil goes bad but what about plain garlic in a bag on the shelf? Often after a couple of weeks it starts to develope a mold. SOmetimes black, sometimes I dunno yellow or green? I just cut that out, but now Im wondering should I toss the entire bulb? Or toss the entire batch?
Old 02-26-2008, 05:53 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Good question. My garlic sits in the mesh bag on a shelf. I turn it every so often. Still, it sprouts or goes soft or the cloves get really small and dried up, but I've never had it mold. My kitchen smells very garlicky right now, but the bulbs still feel firm....
I'm wondering if I should go back to keeping my bulbs in the fridge.... but then my kitchen wouldn't smell so nice
Old 02-27-2008, 05:18 PM   #16
Sous Chef

I dont think you want to keep them in the fridge, my uncle is well respected horticulturist and he says "warm and moist" for garlic storage. I dont know if that's what the books say but he's the one we go to when we have a question like that...

Tags
None