ISO a source for good Asian mustard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danbuter

Senior Cook
I'd like to buy some of the mustard you get in the various Chinese restaurants. The kind that waters my eyes and burns going down. Any recommended brands?

This one is excellent.

Beaver Chinese Hot Mustard - 4 oz. glass [123] - $1.25 : Beaverton Foods, the largest producer of non-refrigerated horseradish and specialty mustards in the United States.

chinese-mustard-g.jpg

On a side note, I'm actually judging at the Word-Wide Mustard Competition this year.

Last edited:
It ain't asian but Coleman's is mighty good.

+1

Colman's is the same as Chinese mustard. You can even just buy the powder and mix as you need it. Just allow the prepared mustard you make to stand for about 20 mins to develop the flavor.

Last edited:
+1

Colman's is the same as Chinese mustard. You can even just buy the powder and mix as you need it. Just allow the prepared mustard you make to stand for about 20 mins to develop the flavor.

That is how we buy it, ground and dry in the tin.:)

That is how we buy it, ground and dry in the tin.:)

I also prefer using the powder, you get the exact level of heat you want when you mix it yourself :)
It's cheaper too!

We always had a tin of mustard powder in our pantry when I was growing up and I still have one today! Not the same tin ;)

Colmans is nice and hot.
I like it a lot.
If you don't use it often then I'd go with it.
If price is a factor then look into the other options.

Another vote for Colman's.

The website has a great recipe for Sweet Hot Mustard. They make it with honey but, I like it made with real maple syrup.

I buy dry mustard powder in the bulk section of my local health foodstore and then mix it with a little white wine to serve with eggrolls and pot stickers. It's just as good as the premixed in jars and waaaaay cheaper.

Colman's English mustard blend, double superfine is not bad but-
.... Is kinda pricey
.... Contains wheat flour
I buy Keen's, which is now manufactured by Colman. It doesn't list any ingredients, so it has to be all mustard. I can't remember ever seeing it in any other form than powder.

:ohmy:Just a bit of trivia for you Canadiens. Most of the world supply for both the yellow and brown mustard seed is grown in Canada. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom