ISO "Branston Pickle" recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
EW im not a branston lover... but Clive would have a better recipe then me im sure but ill post mine

convert measurements
250 g carrots
1 medium swede
4 cloves garlic
125 g dates
1 medium cauliflower
2 onions
2 apples
2 unpeeled courgettes
15 sweet gherkins
225 g dark brown sugar
1 tsp salt
60 ml lemon juice
350 ml cider or malt vinegar
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
a few dashes of liquid browning for colouring

1. Cube the carrots and swede, and finely chop the garlic, dates, cauliflower, onions, apples, courgettes and gherkins. Combine all the ingredients except the colouring in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer.

2. Simmer until the swede is cooked through but still firm (about 1 1/2 to 2 hours). Then add the liquid colouring until the colour is dark brown.

3. Spoon into warm sterilized jars and seal. Leave for at least 3 weeks to let the flavours mature.

Chef Jen -- thanks! I'll pass on the coloring, but other than that, looks tasty!

(If only I could get swede/rutabega. That and parsnips ... flavors from my childhood I miss, miss, miss!)

You don't like Branston? Tried it next to/on top of a bit of fresh bread and a nice cheese, toasted or plain? Nothing like it IMHO!

Thanks again.

Athens, Greece. Not a parsnip-friendly climate!

Yeah, I get it that the coloring is what makes it dark, even in the commercial stuff I eat (Crosse & Blackwell), I just couldn't do it in something I make at home. Call me a purist?

Just ran to read the label on my current bottle in the fridge. Sure enough, it has coloring.

Also has dates! YUM!

Last edited:
Ishbel -- good thing I checked this thread -- thanks!

A completely un-related question: I see the link you gave me is abbreviated, opening up a fuller link. Did you hand-type those ellipses in there? Never seen that done!

Oh DEAR Amber, I'm truly sorry! You've taken my omission personally (and I don't blame you) when it was just that I type these out inbetween doing real work at the office and I was balancing a bunch of threads at the same time.

I also seem to get notified by this site on some, but NOT all, of the additions to various threads. That may or may not have been the case with yours -- not really trying to excuse myself.

My tail IS between my legs. If I make a great Branston and send it to you FedEx, will you forgive me?!

Ayrton said:
Ishbel -- good thing I checked this thread -- thanks!

A completely un-related question: I see the link you gave me is abbreviated, opening up a fuller link. Did you hand-type those ellipses in there? Never seen that done!

Errrrrrmmmmmm, kof-kof..... Pardon? I didn't even know I'd done anything remotely clever!
I am THE most un-tekkie person I know, but I bet someone will be along in a mo to answer your question!

Ayrton said:
Oh DEAR Amber, I'm truly sorry! You've taken my omission personally (and I don't blame you) when it was just that I type these out inbetween doing real work at the office and I was balancing a bunch of threads at the same time.

I also seem to get notified by this site on some, but NOT all, of the additions to various threads. That may or may not have been the case with yours -- not really trying to excuse myself.

My tail IS between my legs. If I make a great Branston and send it to you FedEx, will you forgive me?!

Yes :LOL: I shouldn't have taken it personally, it's easy to miss replies sometimes.

Amber -- thanks for forgiving me. A very nice Maine sort of thing to do! I'll try to be a little more careful in the future.

Ishbel, well if you didn't do that clever thing, somebody did on your behalf. Unfortunately, the computer tekkies don't seem to be monitoring this Branston thread, so you and me both might remain mystified!

Ishbel said:
Errrrrrmmmmmm, kof-kof..... Pardon? I didn't even know I'd done anything remotely clever!
I am THE most un-tekkie person I know, but I bet someone will be along in a mo to answer your question!

Every Thread needs a Geek!! and here I am..

Actually certain threads from sites when copied automatically abrviate the threads. So Ish didnt actually do it the site did!!! :)

Its ok Ish your alright!!

Side note: did you get that massive rain storm we did I know it reached Edinburgh!

Thanks, Jen.... if I'm doing something clever, I want to know about it - it happens so seldom, you see :LOL: Thanks to the clever site set-up, though!

Yes. Rain..... YAAAY! (I don't mind the rain at all - it's the excessive heat/humidity thing that I can't stand - too fair skinned):)

Back
Top Bottom