ISO Coney Dog Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pom_mom

Assistant Cook
hi all. Im looking for a good coney dog sauce. Something that would be good on hotdogs and nachos, that type of thing. Any ideas?

Thanks, Pom_Mom

There was a thread on here one time about coney Island hot dogs, but I cannot find it. Hopefully someone will be along to help out. I tried advanced search in the condiments forum but found nothing.

I am SOOOOOOO having Nathans dogs tonight(morning)....

Unfortunatly, they couple of times I've been at Coney Islad, my dogs were plain, or w/ chilli.

The "sauce" intrigues me..

Sierra's links give the recipe for a sauce with meat. Sounds great.

Being ex New Yorkers, though, we remember Sabrett stands. Loved the dogs, but craved the sauce. Here is a copy cat recipe that I have messed about with enough to avoid any copyright problems.

1 and 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion, medium, cut thinly and chopped (you don't want diced here, you want thin threads of onion)
2 cups of water
1 tablespoon corn syrup
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teasppon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 cup vinegar

Saute the onions in the oil until they are soft. You definitely do not want them to brown.

Toss in everything else, except the vinegar and let simmer (OK, a brisk simmer, if such a thing is possible, maybe a gentle boil would be a better term).

Let it do this until it is thickening, toss in the vinegar and let it go until it has a fairly thick consistency.

The final product should have threads of onion in a thick sauce.

Have not been back to NYC for several years, but it seems the Sabrett stands have been replaced by another type of hot dog.

The dogs are OK, but we miss the sauce.

This would not be too good on nachos I fear, but it does ring our bell on dogs.

Take care and God bless.

auntdot, GREAT lookin out! I assumed the sauce was something different. Being a native BDA boy, I thought it was chilli(not the meal in a bowl type), learn something new everyday!

sabberet, i love those to. i like the "hickory smoked" goodness of them. Still, nothing compares to standing at Grays Papaya(or papya king), and scarfing down a couple of dogs. They never seem the same at home.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom