"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 03-09-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
Executive Chef

ISO Homemade Hot Sauce Ideas

I'm attempting a couple different variations today and wanted to see if I could get some tips from those who have made their own before.

Here's the list of ingredients:

Habaneros
Anaheims
Chipotole
Orange Juice
Lime Juice
Onion
Honey
Carrot

Haven't decided on what combinations just yet. I would like to focus on one chile rather than combine different varieties. One recipe I would like to incorporate mesquite roasted habs.

Gotta get some stuff, BRB.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

You have the makings of a great hot sauce in there somewhere. I really like the ingredients you have on hand. I would not use all of them (like you mentioned), but a combo of some would be great.

My advice is if you are using the habs. Get yourself a surgical mask if you can. I got mine from my dentist office (where my mom works). It will keep your throat and nose from burning. I am sure you already know to use gloves.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
Executive Chef

The first one will be roasted habs, OJ, sweet onion and I'll see about the honey after.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
Executive Chef

They look so innocent The foil pouch has some garlic cloves in it roasting away.

Pacanis, this is the smoker box on my gas grill. There's a burner specifically for that drawer....which has some mesquite in it right now.

All roasted

I peeled the habs, removed the seeds and put them in a blender with about 1 1/2 cups OJ, 1 small roasted clove of garlic, pinch of salt, and some sauteed swett onion. Blended well, now it's simmering on the stovetop.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
Head Chef

I make all of my own hot sauce. I use ripe jalapenos, ripe serranos, and lots of other peppers I buy from the farmers mkt. at the end of the season. I grind all of my peppers and then add white vinegar and dried garlic, dried onion, sugar, tomato paste( to cut the vinegar taste) Kosher salt and let it simmer for 2 hours then strain it and bottle it for the year. I have a 5 gallon stainless steel stock pot just for this purpose. Some times I split the batch and add Chipotle pepper to 1-2 quarts for a little variation. Hope this helps
Old 03-10-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
Sous Chef

My Chinese exchange student, J, is addicted to hot things. He puts hot sauce on every meal I cook (I got offended at first but I'm used to it--I think he's burned off his taste buds and simply can't taste anything unless it is super hot). Anyway, he likes to make sauces with Sun Luck "La Yu Chili Oil" (found in the Asian section). Be careful how much you use because that stuff is HOT! He also really likes the habaneros.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I'm going through different recipes finding ingredients I'd like. For the second sauce I used the roasted Anaheims, garlic, carrot, vinegar, onion and lime juice. It wasnt too hot, so I put a couple dashes of the Habanero sauce in there. Wound up making some wings with it.

Keep the suggestions coming.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:30 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Last fall, I made about 1 1/2 c of Hot sauce at the country club I work at. I took about 4 jalapenos, 2 - 3 hab's, a couple slices fresh pineapple, a couple garlic cloves,and some thick-sliced red onion, and grill it all. I pureed the batch, seasoned to taste with S&P, and started passing it around. Some of the folks there couldn't believe how good it was.

Dave, a couple years ago, I helped my Chef up in MI make several gallons of hot sauce. I'll have to repost the pics. I had two cases of assorted peppers, and we filled the tilt-skillet up with the sauce.

Tags
None