ISO homemade ketchup recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carolelaine

Senior Cook
Once again, I have lots of tomatoes. Does anyone have a good recipe for homemade ketchup? We made some several years ago, but didn't like it. I think I composted it. I've canned enough tomatoes and sauce, thought I'd like to try something else.

Ketchup (Blue Ribbon)

3 12 oz cans tomato paste
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups red wine vinegar
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup bottled lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon pickling salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder

In an 8-quart stainless steel pan, combine tomato paste, tomato sauce and wine vinegar. Stir until smooth and thoroughly blended. Add brown sugar, corn syrup, lemon juice, mustard, salt, garlic powder and onion powder, stirring well after each addition.

Over medium heat, bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. Remove the pan from the heat.

Ladle the ketchup into hot jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Using a plastic knife, remove any trapped air bubbles. Wipe the jar rims and threads with a clean damp cloth. Cover with hot lids and apply screw rings. Process half-pint jars in a water bath for 15 minutes, pint jars for 20 minutes.

Description:
"This sauce is easy to prepare and will please ketchup fans of all ages."
Source: "http://blueribbonpreserves.com/events.htm#recipe5"
Yield: "9 half pints"

Once again, I have lots of tomatoes. Does anyone have a good recipe for homemade ketchup? We made some several years ago, but didn't like it. I think I composted it. I've canned enough tomatoes and sauce, thought I'd like to try something else.
you are talking about using your tomatoes, not sauce/paste from a can right?

Here's one from raw tomatoes but may not be as good.

Tomato Ketchup

8 quarts tomatoes
1 cinnamon stick - (2" long)
8 medium onions
1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
2 long red peppers
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 garlic clove
1 tablespoon whole allspice
1/2 bay leaf
1 tablespoon whole cloves
2 cups cider vinegar
1 tablespoon whole mace
1 tablespoon celery seed

Wash the tomatoes and cut into pieces. Slice and add the onions. Remove the seeds and membranes from the long red peppers (not Bell peppers) and add. Simmer until soft.

Rub mixture through a food mill. Add the brown sugar. Form a bag and put the allspice, cloves, mace, celery seed, peppercorns, stick cinnamon, dry mustard, garlic and bay leaves in it. Tie the bag very tightly and add to the tomato sauce. Boil, stirring often until the volume is reduced by half. Remove and discard the spice bag and add the vinegar. Reduce heat and simmer the catsup for another 10 minutes.

Pour into well-sterilized jars, leaving about 1/4-inch of headroom. Seal and process for 15 minutes in a boiling water bath. Store in a dry, cool location.

This recipe yields 20 half-pints.

Thank you. I made ketchup last night with a combination of the emeril recipe and another one I found where the spices were seeped in the vinegar for 30 minutes and the removed with a sieve. It was good but I think I would like the tomato paste recipe better because I don't seem to be all that crazy and cloves and allspice. I can always cook the tomatoes down to paste. Time permitting I'll try that one next. Thank you both.

That recipe does look good, I actually have lots of Romas right now. The other things of Guys that I have tried have been good. Thanks.

That recipe does look good, I actually have lots of Romas right now. The other things of Guys that I have tried have been good. Thanks.
I've never made a bad Guy recipe. When he was making it he did stress that the thickness was up to the individual. He made his chunkier but you can thin it out by pureeing longer.

I don't know either. What are you adverse to, the sugar or the molasses or both? If its just the sugar, try Splenda® and add some Molasses. Play with the taste.

Back
Top Bottom