ISO hot mango chutney recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is my T&T recipe. You can up the ginger and add some red pepper for more spice.

CHUTNEY

7-10 C coarsely chopped fruit -- peaches or mangoes or pineapple (canned)
3 C sugar
1 1/2 C cider vinegar
3 cloves minced garlic
1 1/2 C chopped onions
2-3 TBS grated fresh ginger
3/4 C lime juice
1 C golden raisins
1/4 C chopped preserved ginger

Place all in large kettle and cook uncovered about 1 or 1 1/2 hours. Put in hot sterile jars and seal. Turn jars upside down immediately after sealing until cool.

"T&T" being tried and true? If so, once I try, can I come back for hints?

Thanks very much -- looks spot on fundamentally. I'll try it once I master the basics of canning (which I'm in the process of doing, even though I'm intimidated!)

Have you by any chance tried Sharwood's Bengal Spice Mango Chutney? That's my current favorite by far, and I'd just love a few guesses as to what spices that contains!

Last edited:
In India we have mango based sweet achaars (chutney for those in the west) and then a salty and savory achaar.

I like both. Unlike the sweet ones the salty ones don't use vinegar but use oil to preserve the achaar. It may be too intense for those of non-indian origin. It is heavily infused with spices like fenugreek, mustard and chillis and is ac acquired taste.

Also I like to use raw mangoes (green ones) to make my achaars. I can't really explain the difference between making a chutney/sweet achaar with ripe mangoes vs with raw ones. To me there is no comparison and green is hands down the better one for what we prepare. Here is a version that my mother used to make. Growing up in India mangoes were commonly available and relatively cheap. Try this and see what you think.

3 - 4 large green mangoes. Cut into small same size cubes (1/4 inch)
3-4 cups of brown sugar (more if you like it sweet)
Bunch of curry leaves (available at most indian stores)
1 tbsp of black/brown mustard seeds (also available at Indian stores)
pinch of salt
chili powder and cumin powder to taste
1 tbsp of oil (any kind other than olive is fine)
1 cup of water or more

In a deep pan, add the oil. Once it's hot add the mustard seeds and curry leaves. Cover to prevent it from splattering everywhere. Next add the mangoes, sugar, cumin, chili powder and salt. Add the water and cover and let it all cook on low for 30 minutes or so (Check for water to ensure the chutney does not stick to the bottom).

As the mangoes cook down with the sugar and spices it makes a super nice texture. You can continue to add more water (little by little) to ensure the mangoes are fully cooked. You can also adjust sugar and spices to your liking. Once it's cooked you will have an amber color and will have a prefect balance of spices and sweet and sour taste. It will last for weeks if not months in the refrigerator.

Canning chutney doesn't have to be in a pressure canner because of the vinegar and sugar content. Makes it a lot easier!!

Ayrton said:
I hear Clive's an expert ...?!

I make the stuff for a living, Ayrton!
Here's my Hot Mango Chutney recipe - T&T as you say; I 've made over 100 lbs in the past couple of years!
This was a small lot I made for a friend, so the measurements are according to the amount of mangoes I bought that day:
2.3 kgs fresh mangoes, slightly underripe
300 gms raisins
100 gms fresh ginger
1.1 kgs brown sugar ( We are sweet-toothed over here! You may want to use less)
375 mls white vinegar
8 cloves garlic
150 mls tamarind pulp
2.5 tsps salt
2.5 tsps coriander seed, , ground
3 tsps Garam Masala
8 tsps hot chili powder ( yes, 8. And I make my own!)
Peel the mangoes and dice.
Peel the ginger and garlic, add the raisins, place in a blender with the vinegar and blitz until almost smooth.
Mix all the ingredients together in a large stainless steel pot. Bring to a boil and cook for about 20- 25 minutes, stirring often to avoid sticking. Bottle and waterbath for about 20 minutes.
This recipe makes between 14- 15 200cc jars.

Most of my chutneys are directed at western palates, but to satisfy my own cravings for authentic Indian pickles, I make a Rajasthani Mango pickle with raw green mango ( skin and all) - as Yakuta says, it's an acquired taste. (Mine uses 1 cup of chili powder...).
I also make a brinjal (aubergine) pickle, tomato pickle, carrot pickle, ginger and garlic pickle , lime pickle and the thoroughly incendiary fresh chili pickle. I have a client on the other side of Venezuela who calls me from time to time " Heloo? This is Kumal Chanderpaul. Have you got any chili pickle left? We ate the last six jars you sent in a month...":cool: :LOL:
Wonderful stuff - although my chili pain barrier is a lot lower than Kumal's!!

I've made Clives Mango Chutney [must admit I toned it down some] and it is wonderful, tasty, stupendous, marvelous [can you tell I liked it?]

Thank you very much, both Yakuta and CliveB!

I'm ready to try either or both recipes, but I'm elsewhere on this site (in the canning section) trying to determine how much I can fiddle with these recipes and still stay 'safe' in terms of long-term preserving.

Yakuta, I doubt I can get ahold of curry leaves. Any substitutions you'd recommend for spices?

Clive, I'd have problems with both the tamarind and the garam masala. Are they crucial to your spice mixture?

By the way, you both refer to "raw" green mangoes ... by this do you mean un-ripe?

Thanks again!

What is your recipe for "chili" powder? Or is it "chile" powder--what kind of chiles?

I had the same question for CliveB, Gretchen, but forgot to ask. Thanks for remembering!

Clive??

Also directed to Clive: since you make so many "relish-y" items, tell me, do you make an American "chili sauce"? What I'm picturing is a very chunky tomato sauce, seeds and all, with green peppers and onions and spices. Got any takes on that?

There is no substitute for fresh curry leaves. You can skip the curry leaves but there will definitely be a difference in the end product.

As far as garam masala goes it is made with a number of spices but here is a good substitute you can make at home.

- 1 tsp of whole black peppercorns
- 1 small stick of cinnamon
- 3 whole cloves
- 3 cardamom pods

Dry roast it a bit and then powder it in a coffee grinder. I use one just to grind whole spices.

Ayrton said:
I had the same question for CliveB, Gretchen, but forgot to ask. Thanks for remembering!

Clive??

Also directed to Clive: since you make so many "relish-y" items, tell me, do you make an American "chili sauce"? What I'm picturing is a very chunky tomato sauce, seeds and all, with green peppers and onions and spices. Got any takes on that?

My " chili pepper" is simply ground up, dried hot chillies (peppers). Mostly cayenne peppers or Dutch peppers, although I occasionally add some chirel, some colorado, some ají rojo, or some pinguita de mono peppers if available!

American chili sauce? No , 'fraid not. But why not cook together some fresh(or canned) tomatoes, a green pepper, a red onion, a clove or two of garlic, a tsp or two of hot chili pepper, a finely chopped serrano, a tsp of cumin seed, a pinch of cinnamon, a tbsp coriander leaf, a tsp of sugar and half a cup of vinegar? Chuck 'em all in a large pot and cook until you get the required texture. Adjust for salt, sweetness, etc.

Yakuta said:
There is no substitute for fresh curry leaves. You can skip the curry leaves but there will definitely be a difference in the end product.

I totally agree.
Do NOT be tempted to add bay leaves as a substitute. Not even close!

Clive, what do you think tamarind adds to the chutney? I am getting ready to make some and think I'll give that a try for an addition. I kind of know tamarind--can get it easily. Is it spicy? Sweetish? I know it's in Worcestershire. Thanks.

Clive, do you want me to post the recipe you adapted for me? I will if you want.

Clive -- if I can locate curry leaves, I'll try them.

Ditto for tamarind (thanks to my great spice site (see link under ethnic foods forum) I know how to ask for it in Greek.)

Your chili sauce recipe sounds pretty good, traditional or not. Do you preserve/can your chutneys & relishes? If so, can you elaborate a bit on how? (I'm over in the canning forum trying to learn how to do it and am stumped a bit by whether I can or cannot play around with recipes.)

Bjcotton? Never you mind what Clive wants ... you go right ahead and post that recipe!

Thanks all.

Yakuta! Sorry, forgot to thank you for the garam masala substitute! Sounds really tasty.

I'll also check my spice website (the one I just mentioned which I guess everybody will think I'm getting a commission on -- not the case, I just really admire and love it!) since he has some great "spice mixture" formulas.

Thanks!

Gretchen said:
Clive, what do you think tamarind adds to the chutney? I am getting ready to make some and think I'll give that a try for an addition. I kind of know tamarind--can get it easily. Is it spicy? Sweetish? I know it's in Worcestershire. Thanks.

The tamarind is the fruit ( a pod) of a tree which originated in East Africa, but is now common all across the world. It is related to the pea and to the lentil.
The fruit is very acid, very astringent, and adds a deliciously fruity, fresh contrast to hot and/or sweet sauces.
To obtain the pulp, you have to soak the pods in water for a while. If you buy a block of tamarind in your local Indian grocery, for example, the outer husk of the pod will have been removed. Cover in water for about 15 minutes, then rub the fruit and the seeds through your fingers to remove the pulp. Strain through a sieve and you will obtain the pulp. This is what you use to cook with, although here in Venezuela we add sugar and water and make a drink out of it!

A wonderful stuffing for aubergines(eggplants) is to mix grated coconut, tamarind, brown sugar and hot peppers together, with a little cumin powder, salt and a tbsp of finely diced onion, barely cooked. Mix together, stuff into the aubergine then cook in a pot with a tightly fitting lid until just poached. Add a little water from time to time to avoid burning.

Ayrton said:
Clive -- if I can locate curry leaves, I'll try them.

Ditto for tamarind (thanks to my great spice site (see link under ethnic foods forum) I know how to ask for it in Greek.)

Your chili sauce recipe sounds pretty good, traditional or not. Do you preserve/can your chutneys & relishes? If so, can you elaborate a bit on how? (I'm over in the canning forum trying to learn how to do it and am stumped a bit by whether I can or cannot play around with recipes.)

Thanks all.

Yes, Ayrton, I preserve everything! I've got a small company which makes chutneys, sauces, hot sauces, jellies, etc.
Most of my products have sugar, salt, vinegar and spices in them, so I'm already 3/4 of the way there to perfect preserving. The fruit/sauces/veg are cooked for almost 45 minutes, in most cases, then poured into sterilised jars, capped and placed in boiling water up to their necks for 20 minutes. I then remove the jars and allow them to cool.
A little trick, I suppose - when the jar has cooled, the lid will be slightly indented or concave. This is a good indication that the vacuum has formed inside the jar.
I also test my products in a local food lab, just to be 150% sure. 100% record so far in five years.
Preserving/ canning is not difficult, but you do have to follow a set of rules. Often, you'll be able to tell if anything went "wrong" in the process when you open the jar. If it goes"POP!", it's ok; if it goes "HISSS" and little bubbles float to the surface, send it to the rubbish bin!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom