ISO Japanese mustard sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
my family and i go to japanese hibachi restaurants about 6 or 7 times a year and have found the mustard sauce on teppanyaki salmon, scallops, or even chicken really delicious.

i've searched several, very different recipes for mustard sauce, but i was wondering if anyone knew of a brand or a specific bottled mustard sauce.

i've found comercially available teppanyaki ginger sauce; now i just need the mustard.

tia. :chef:

thanks, jenny. yes, i meant the dipping sauce, gahc. :yum:.

i may just have to make a few recipes to see which one we like. i was hoping to find a bottled brand that i could just pull out of the fridge when needed.

i don't know how "authentic" teppanyaki mustard sauce would be like if it were from japan. dijon and mayo don't strike me as japanese ingredients, but if it works, so be it.

btw, does anyone know why these restaurants are called hibachi when they use a teppan griddle?

in any case, thanks again. :chef:

I didn't know what teppanyaki was, so I looked it up. Yes, I have eaten at teppanyaki places. Teppanyaki - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The originator of the teppanyaki-style steakhouse is the Japanese restaurant chain Misono, which introduced the concept of cooking Western-influenced food on a teppan in Japan in 1945"

Since teppanyaki steakhouses have been "Western-influenced" since the beginning, it seems reasonable that the condiments would have a western influence.

thanks, jenny. yes, i meant the dipping sauce, gahc. :yum:.

i may just have to make a few recipes to see which one we like. i was hoping to find a bottled brand that i could just pull out of the fridge when needed.

i don't know how "authentic" teppanyaki mustard sauce would be like if it were from japan. dijon and mayo don't strike me as japanese ingredients, but if it works, so be it.

btw, does anyone know why these restaurants are called hibachi when they use a teppan griddle?

in any case, thanks again. :chef:

japanese mayo.jpeg

Japanese mayo tastes real different, not sure why...

that's because it's squeezed from a human baby. probably part of the same process where baby oil is produced.

(notice the logo)

thanks kgirl and taxy. i'll have to ask if what they serve is karashi mayo, or some other form of karashi.

yumyumsauce.jpg
Yum Yum Sauce for fried rice... INGREDIENTS: 1 cup mayonnaise 3 tablespoons white sugar 3 tablespoons rice vinegar 2 tablespoons melted butter 3/4 teaspoon paprika 3/8 teaspoon garlic powder DIRECTIONS: 1. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, white sugar, rice vinegar, melted butter, paprika and garlic powder. 2. Mix well. 3. Cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.

Bucky, I found this while a was on Pinterest today.
Is this it?

no, but thanks, kgirl. it looks good on its own.

if i'm going to eat my wife's very good but very plain cooking, i'll need to learn some good sauces.

Back
Top Bottom