Kewpie Mayonnaise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But if you know the chicken farmer, you can find out if they vaccinated their chickens against salmonella. I think the risk is negligible in that case

Most commercial egg producers vaccinate the chickens, too. Six of one, half dozen of the other ;)
How would you know for sure? Do they write that on the cartons? My point was that if you trust the egg farmer, you can find out, not guess, if the chickens were immunized.

How would you know for sure? Do they write that on the cartons? My point was that if you trust the egg farmer, you can find out, not guess, if the chickens were immunized.
From what I've read, upward of 90 percent of egg producers vaccinate their hens. Then there's this. Nothing is for sure but death and taxes, as they say.

"Vaccination of hens has had varying success against Salmonella infection, depending on the vaccine and the Salmonella serotype. Berghaus et al.[33] demonstrated that a vaccine containing killed S. Typhimurium, S.Enteritidis, and S. enteric serotype Kentucky increased the immunity of the hens and their progeny against these particular serotypes; however, it did not decrease the incidence of Salmonella in environmental samples taken from the housing. Another study by Arnold et al. [34] found that vaccination did not influence the proportion of hens shedding S. Enteritidis and S.Typhimurium; however, it did significantly decrease the incidence of S. Enteritidis and S. Typhimurium present on eggshells compared to the non-vaccinated hens."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4377917/

Last edited:
From what I've read, upward of 90 percent of egg producers vaccinate their hens. Then there's this. Nothing is for sure but death and taxes, as they say.

"Vaccination of hens has had varying success against Salmonella infection, depending on the vaccine and the Salmonella serotype. Berghaus et al.[33] demonstrated that a vaccine containing killed S. Typhimurium, S.Enteritidis, and S. enteric serotype Kentucky increased the immunity of the hens and their progeny against these particular serotypes; however, it did not decrease the incidence of Salmonella in environmental samples taken from the housing. Another study by Arnold et al. [34] found that vaccination did not influence the proportion of hens shedding S. Enteritidis and S.Typhimurium; however, it did significantly decrease the incidence of S. Enteritidis and S. Typhimurium present on eggshells compared to the non-vaccinated hens."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4377917/
I read a bit of that study, but I didn't feel like taking notes to keep track of the various serotypes, so it was kinda hard to keep track. They also don't mention how common the various serotypes are.

I did read that they have had excellent results in GB. They had tried enforcing hygiene and testing, but the number of cases of humans getting sick from salmonella from eggs didn't go down much, until they started mass vaccinating. It's not required by law, but there is a seal of approval for the cartons that does require it and almost all the grocery stores only sell those eggs.

What's the rate of people getting salmonella from eggs like in the US now?

I took a pic of QP IMG_0329.jpg

You could be just lucky Steve. I couldn't find Kewpie in any grocery, including the nearby city of 100,000. I finally found it in an Asian grocery, 20 miles from my home.
I like it a lot but as I mentioned somewhere, imo it's way too expensive for everyday mayo.
I've been adding a shake of MSG to Best Foods (Hellman's) and the flavor comes close.

You could be just lucky Steve. I couldn't find Kewpie in any grocery, including the nearby city of 100,000. I finally found it in an Asian grocery, 20 miles from my home.
I like it a lot but as I mentioned somewhere, imo it's way too expensive for everyday mayo.
I've been adding a shake of MSG to Best Foods (Hellman's) and the flavor comes close.
Interesting. It's in Harris Teeter, which has a location in every city here. I haven't looked at Kroger, where I usually shop. I'll try to remember to look next time I'm there.

Harris Teeter?
Isn't that like a more up-scale market GG?
I went into one once with Dear Niece in Charleston and they
had alot Faaancy stuff.
The only kind of nice supermarkets that we have here
in the middle of the desert, at the Gateway to The Grand Canyon,
is Trader Joe's, we lost the Whole paycheck , I mean Foods... they
were only here for a very short time.

Harris Teeter?
Isn't that like a more up-scale market GG?
I went into one once with Dear Niece in Charleston and they
had alot Faaancy stuff.
The only kind of nice supermarkets that we have here
in the middle of the desert, at the Gateway to The Grand Canyon,
is Trader Joe's, we lost the Whole paycheck , I mean Foods... they
were only here for a very short time.
It is, but they have a store card that gives you discounts and they have pretty good weekly sales. Kroger has a very similar inventory, so I don't go to Harris Teeter much anymore, unless I'm looking for something unusual.

It is, but they have a store card that gives you discounts and they have pretty good weekly sales. Kroger has a very similar inventory, so I don't go to Harris Teeter much anymore, unless I'm looking for something unusual.

Right, right.
Harris Tetter is a subsidiary of Kroger.
For us here (well not here in N.AZ), we have Bashas'
and their high point store is AJ's, loved that place.
Here in cowboyville, NOTHING!!!
And I really do not want to drive 2 hours one way
to the "big city" to shop that way anymore.
The one thing I do miss in Southern AZ.

Actually, I don't think that's true. I live in a tiny Minnesota town of 3,500 people, but our one grocery store sells Kewpie mayo.

twMoMdh.jpg

Steve, as Kayelle said, you're very lucky.
We moved from a city of 43,000 to a town with the population of 43,000
and yet the city the we moved away from has much more than here
in our new town. dunno *shrug* (heh! wait a minute-Kaneohe's population in the 2010 census was 34,500!)
But thank goodness for the internet, I can order online what I can't find here,
that is other than Hawaii items, that will have to wait til we go home ...
can you say very large suitcase? ;)

Y'know I'm not sure whether or not I mentioned that my tummy gets quite upset with Best Foods now.

I LOVE mayonnaise, I mean we even put it on top of our Chili, MMM!
But DH DOES NOT like mayo, at all. He can't be in the room if I'm making Tuna Salad, Chicken Salad or even Deviled Eggs, which he loves. Just don't tell him what's in it :LOL: and he's okay (same with butter).

BUT if I use just a small portion of Kewpie Mayo in said salads, I'm fine :shrug:
no tummy discord.

Back
Top Bottom