Kewpie Mayonnaise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
Does anyone know why Kewpie Mayonnaise is not readily available in supermarkets? I know you can get it online, and there are some Asian markets not far away. I’m just curious. Is it just because not enough people know about it, so it doesn’t sell? Is there any brand of mayo that’s commonly available that replicates the unique taste and texture of Kewpie?

JJ, folks here on the "mainland" don't know about/use/buy
Kewpie Mayonnaise (unless they've been to or are familiar with Japanese cuisine).
Now, in the 50th State, we have it readily available everywhere, inexpensive,
used all the time (well, along with Best Foods for everyday stuff) !!!
I just picked up 2 containers here in the middle of the desert, through Walmart.com...
in store pick up for free, but they don't carry it in the store.
I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!!!
To me anyways, there is no equal to Kewpie Mayo!
Today, I made Tuna Sandwiches for me and Mom using my
hoarded Coral Brand Tuna ... YUM!!!
We were both in heaven and DH was like, "Meh". :LOL:

JJ, folks here on the "mainland" don't know about/use/buy
Kewpie Mayonnaise (unless they've been to or are familiar with Japanese cuisine).
Now, in the 50th State, we have it readily available everywhere, inexpensive,
used all the time (well, along with Best Foods for everyday stuff) !!!
I just picked up 2 containers here in the middle of the desert, through Walmart.com...
in store pick up for free, but they don't carry it in the store.

I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!!!
To me anyways, there is no equal to Kewpie Mayo!
Today, I made Tuna Sandwiches for me and Mom using my
hoarded Coral Brand Tuna ... YUM!!!
We were both in heaven and DH was like, "Meh". :LOL:
I have come to use Walmart's free pickup for a lot of things which are not 'in store'.. A pretty good service..

Kewpie is readily available here AND there is a very, very good Asian market in the Missouri town I'm moving to... :)

Ross

I have come to use Walmart's free pickup for a lot of things which are not 'in store'.. A pretty good service..

Kewpie is readily available here AND there is a very, very good Asian market in the Missouri town I'm moving to... :)

Ross
My husband wants to move. Where, I don’t know, but wherever it is, I MUST have access to Asian and other markets! And our house has to have a decent sized, well-planned kitchen with a pantry. Other than that I’m good with wherever. Oh, and no hurricanes or tornadoes. The Asian markets are the deal breaker though!

Here's a suggestion:

AsiaTown Cleveland photo tour We went to Night Market this past summer and had a great time!

If you tire of that, head about five miles west to West Side Market. Ten minute drive or half an hour by public transit, you could buy most of your groceries for a week. This used to be on my regular shopping rotation when we lived back home. Now I get to make a pilgrimage only twice a year. :(

Here's a suggestion:

AsiaTown Cleveland photo tour We went to Night Market this past summer and had a great time!

If you tire of that, head about five miles west to West Side Market. Ten minute drive or half an hour by public transit, you could buy most of your groceries for a week. This used to be on my regular shopping rotation when we lived back home. Now I get to make a pilgrimage only twice a year. :(

To bad Cleveland is so far from where I am currently at (Middletown).

I started making my own mayonnaise a good number of years ago now. It's so easy! It's Auguste Escoffier's recipe, and it' delicious!

4-5 hard boiled eggs,
salt
freshly ground pepper
1 1/4 cups sunflower oil
1 tsp white vinegar
2 tbsp mayonaiise
1 tbsp chopped chives.

Sieve the egg yolks and pound a paste with the salt and pepper. Gradually work in the oil, add the vinegar and lastly the mayo and chives. Chop the whites and scatter over the salad. Talk about good value!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I've never had kewpie mayo. Could someone explain how it's different/special? Taste? Texture? I'm accustomed to Hellmann's.

I've never had kewpie mayo. Could someone explain how it's different/special? Taste? Texture? I'm accustomed to Hellmann's.
Kewpie is much creamier than American mayo, and has a distinctly umami taste. I think (and this may turn a lot of people off) that it contains MSG.

I wonder what the connection is between Kewpie Dolls and the company that makes the mayo.

My grandkids prefer the Japanese mayo over American mayo on burgers and sandwiches. They use it on hot dogs too.

I'm pretty sure Kewpie mayo is available at several grocery stores here. It's not that uncommon anymore for "foreign" ingredients to be readily available throughout the United States, in relatively populated areas.

My husband wants to move. Where, I don’t know, but wherever it is, I MUST have access to Asian and other markets! And our house has to have a decent sized, well-planned kitchen with a pantry. Other than that I’m good with wherever. Oh, and no hurricanes or tornadoes. The Asian markets are the deal breaker though!

Try San Francisco

Kewpie is much creamier than American mayo, and has a distinctly umami taste. I think (and this may turn a lot of people off) that it contains MSG.
It's the MSG that gives it the umami. I can handle a bit of MSG once in a while. If I get more, it does that weird thing that people refer to as a headache. (It's more like muscles around the face, near the scalp, or even the whole scalp, pulling in weird ways.)

Here's an interesting article from Serious Eats in regards to
the difference between Japaneses-Style and American Mayo...

Sauced: Japanese-Style (Kewpie) Mayonnaise | Serious Eats

Hawaii May 2012 295.jpg

When we lived in Hawaii, you could find Kewpie Mayo anywhere.
Folks just LOVE their mayo on some of the odds its things.
And it will differ from Island to Island too.

Hawaii 151.JPG

The common dish is Macaroni Salad!!!
Since moving to Arizona, I can only find it in the large cities
that have well stocked Asian Markets.

Here's an interesting article from Serious Eats in regards to
the difference between Japaneses-Style and American Mayo...

Sauced: Japanese-Style (Kewpie) Mayonnaise | Serious Eats

View attachment 28662

When we lived in Hawaii, you could find Kewpie Mayo anywhere.
Folks just LOVE their mayo on some of the odds its things.
And it will differ from Island to Island too.

View attachment 28663

The common dish is Macaroni Salad!!!
Since moving to Arizona, I can only find it in the large cities
that have well stocked Asian Markets.
I’m gonna have to try that recipe, but I need to find a source for pasteurized eggs first.

Back
Top Bottom