"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 01-13-2007, 11:44 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Malt Vinegar

Could anybody tell me a good substitute to Malt Vinegar? My choices are, apple vinegar, grape vinegar, balsamic vinegar, red and white wine vinegar.

Thanks

Jonny

Old 01-13-2007, 12:10 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Jonny, you got me wondering, could it possibly be a mixture of some unspecified proportions of all of the above? That is to say, I don't really think the type of vinegar you use matters a lot. I am happy with wine vinegar most of the time. By the way, for what purpose are you using the malt vinegar and/or its substitute?

Old 01-13-2007, 12:27 PM   #3
Hospitality Queen

I know typical fish & chips goes beautifully with malt vinegar - if I had to find something that would go similarly, perhaps some balsamic with apple cider blended in? hmmmmmm..
Old 01-13-2007, 01:40 PM   #4
Sous Chef

According to Cook's Thesaurus

malt vinegar = alegar Notes: Most of us know malt vinegar as the condiment that's always put on the table wherever British fish and chips are served. It's made from malted barley, and has a pungent, lemony flavor. It's a good choice for pickling (assuming it contains at least 5% acetic acid), though it will darken light-colored fruits and vegetables. It's also the vinegar of choice for making chutneys. Since it's so assertive, it's not a good choice for vinaigrettes or delicate sauces. Varieties include brown malt vinegar and distilled malt vinegar, which is clear. Substitutes: lemon juice (with fish and chips) OR cider vinegar OR white wine vinegar

I had never seen that about using it to make chutney. Your question has opened a new door for me. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:39 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Im actually trying to make a substitute for HP/Brown sauce and Lulu posted on a previous thread of mine a recipe which included, vinegar (malt).

So i need a substitute for malt vinegar to make a substitute for HP sauce which is needed to make coriander/mint chutney!!!! i hope its all worthwhile in the end hehe!!
Old 01-13-2007, 04:13 PM   #6
Executive Chef

We have HP sauce here in the U.S. and it's very common to find it in the U.K. Not sure where you live, but if you are in the U.S. shaws grocery stores sells HP sauce. If you cannot find it, try A-1 steak sauce or look through the bbq sauce section of your grocery store for the ingredients listed on the back of the various bottles.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:07 PM   #7
Head Chef

Would probably go with white vinegar and maybe toss in a splash of a hearty beer (Guiness?). What you do with the rest of the bottle, I have no idea - tee hee.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:19 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot
Would probably go with white vinegar and maybe toss in a splash of a hearty beer (Guiness?). What you do with the rest of the bottle, I have no idea - tee hee.
Cute
Old 01-13-2007, 07:29 PM   #9
Sous Chef

I'm another one who tells thAT

Tags
None