Mango chutney

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
Chutney originated for the Northern province of India way back.

Sharwoods Major Grey Mango Chutney I have to order online from some US british import.

It's a mango chutney I've enjoyed since the late 70's.

Of all the supermarkets locally, small and large, none carry Sharwoods.

The rest of the jarred chutney I've sampled tastes wierd.

Mango chutney is a condiment that goes with lamb curry.

I pay extra for Sharwoods Major Grey chutney, but it's well worth it.
I have to go online and order it from a US distributor of english imports.

Anyone here heard of it? You order it where online?

Last edited:
I'm a Brit & Sharwoods is our brand leader - I wouldn't think of buying anything else- Its even imported into France for us expats!

What's a bit of a bummer is that Sharwoods re-tooled their line of chutney.
It's not as sweet-sour as it used to be.

One thing about trying other brands (and I tried many) is that those other
brands don't have the "sour" part. They were more like marmalade.

I now buy Sharwoods Major Grey Mango Chutney Green label. I don't know why they named it that, but they took out some of the "sour" and left in the
"sweet."

I still prefer Sharwoods over at least 5 other brands I tasted. It's amazing how
mango chutney can vary from one maker to another. Some were awfull tasting.

So now...I order online. 2 jars cost me $18. It's worth it tho.

Last edited:
Sharwoods Major Grey Mango Chutney is my favorite. I can get it in FL in an international gourmet food shop. I also get it in NY in the gourmet section of a large grocery store. I love to mix it with mayo & curry powder for curried chicken salad. I also eat it on naan, crackers & chicken sandwiches/paninis. Yum! I just finished my last jar that I brought to MX. Good thing I head back to the States next week.

Sorry to be anal about this but chutney is a fusion term and yes it originated in India but means something completely different.

Chutneys are normally freshly prepared and uses bright and pungent ingredients like cilantro, mint, tomatoes, chilis, coconut, lime juice, tamarind etc.

What the west calls mango chutney is what Indian's call mango achaar (aam ka achaar). Achaars can be sweet or savory. The sweet ones use fruits with gud (unrefined soft brown blob which is obtained from sugarcane) or plain white sugar. It also uses a variety of spices. Most authentic Indian achaars are sweet, sour and spicy. The only exceptions are murrabas which are just sweet without much of the sour or spicy, the only spiciness in them come from use of sweet spices like cinnamon.

I would recommend Nirav's achaars if you want to try something good. My personal favorites are Gol Kairi and Chhundo.

Sharwoods Major Grey Mango Chutney is my favorite. I can get it in FL in an international gourmet food shop. I also get it in NY in the gourmet section of a large grocery store. I love to mix it with mayo & curry powder for curried chicken salad. I also eat it on naan, crackers & chicken sandwiches/paninis. Yum! I just finished my last jar that I brought to MX. Good thing I head back to the States next week.

It's kind of a bummer, but they took out a lot of the "sour" in Sharwoods with Sharwood having re-tooled their chutney recently.
I still prefer it over the other marmalade type Mango Chutneys on the market.
Some of them are just awfull tasting. Believe me, I've bought many.

Hi Caslon, I am not sure where you are but you can buy Nirav and other brands (Nirav's not the only one there are others) in any Indian store. The foreign names I gave you above are two of my favorite achaars. They are sweet, sour and spicy and made with managoes.

Chhundo (a lot of different brands are available)- Very popular in India and is made of grated green mango which is then seasoned with spices and sugar into a delish marmalade type of consistency

Gol Kairi (Nirav is the only one that I am familiar with)- Is a prepartion of chunks of green mangoes and lots of pungent spices. It is on the heavier spiced side but still sweet and goes well as a condiment with dal, rice and papad

Thanks...but with all due respect, I can't open the yellow pages to find an "Indian" store.

If you have a store link to a Mango Chutney with a sweet-sour taste, please post same.

Sharwood did a major overhaul of their Mango Chutney. I now buy the green lable Major Grey Sharwood Mango chutney. Costs me $18 for two bottles.

It's not nearly as sweet-sour as it used to be, but it's better than all the wasted money I spent trying other brands of Mango Chutney.

Back
Top Bottom