"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 03-21-2016, 01:21 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
I'm still having a challenge making homemade mayo with my immersion blender. It's coming out like runny liquid I'm wondering if it's because I didn't let the egg sit out of the fridge long enough. I left it out for 30 minutes.

Here are the ingredients I used:

1 egg yoke
1 tbsp lime juice
1 cup sunflower oil
pinch of salt

Should I have used the whole egg? Maybe left the egg out a little longer? I'm so frustrated with this!!!
I don't keep eggs in the 'fridge (possibly a more moderate climate where I live than where you are) and most "authorities" say that room temperature eggs should be used for mayo. Try leaving them out overnight.

Yes, I always use just yolks. Most recipes advise this although the Bamix hand blender is advertised and demonstrated as being able to make mayo with whole eggs.

The age of the eggs may also affect the texture of the mayo.

Were you adding the oil too quickly? The traditional recipes mean it when they specify adding it "drop by drop", until the mixture has started to emulsify, and then in a thin stream.

Incidentally, are you sure about the quality of your eggs? Government health warnings in the UK advise that children, pregnant women, the elderly and anyone with a compromised immune system shouldn't consume raw egg.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:36 PM   #22
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I don't keep eggs in the 'fridge (possibly a more moderate climate where I live than where you are) and most "authorities" say that room temperature eggs should be used for mayo. Try leaving them out overnight.

Yes, I always use just yolks. Most recipes advise this although the Bamix hand blender is advertised and demonstrated as being able to make mayo with whole eggs.

The age of the eggs may also affect the texture of the mayo.

Were you adding the oil too quickly? The traditional recipes mean it when they specify adding it "drop by drop", until the mixture has started to emulsify, and then in a thin stream.

Incidentally, are you sure about the quality of your eggs? Government health warnings in the UK advise that children, pregnant women, the elderly and anyone with a compromised immune system shouldn't consume raw egg.

Guess you didn't see my subsequent post in this thread. I discovered that the problem was the speed setting on the immersion blender. It wasn't high enough. Once I set it to 2 everything everything was fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Old 03-22-2016, 03:24 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
A trick that I think I learned here: if using an immersion blender, use a small, wide mouthed jar to make the mayo in. Then when it's done, you don't have to take it out of the beaker, just put the lid on the jar and put it in the fridge. I usually write the date on the jar too.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:49 PM   #24
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
A trick that I think I learned here: if using an immersion blender, use a small, wide mouthed jar to make the mayo in. Then when it's done, you don't have to take it out of the beaker, just put the lid on the jar and put it in the fridge. I usually write the date on the jar too.

That's a great idea! If you have a moment can you post a pic of the type of jar you use?

Old 03-22-2016, 04:10 PM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
That's a great idea! If you have a moment can you post a pic of the type of jar you use?

A pint Mason jar will work.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:44 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

I use a pint Mason jar. I realized the ~10 oz salsa jars would work. I'll save the next one. Just make sure the immersion blender will fit easily into the jar and that you have a lid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pint mason jar.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	24473  
Old 03-22-2016, 06:52 PM   #27
Master Chef

I'm curious about how long everyone keeps homemade mayo.

I used to use the three day rule. Recently I read an article by some foodies, that I trust, and they indicated that it was safe to keep it on hand until the expiration date of the eggs used to make the mayo. I have not attempted to keep mayo for that long, and really don't need to, but I have gone out as far as 5 days.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:04 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

I used to use the three day rule. Recently I read an article by some foodies, that I trust, and they indicated that it was safe to keep it on hand until the expiration date of the eggs used to make the mayo. I have not attempted to keep mayo for that long, and really don't need to, but I have gone out as far as 5 days.
I don't agree with that. Once you crack the eggs, they're exposed to microorganisms in the air and on surfaces, including the jar and the tools used to make the emulsion, which can then grow in the mayo.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:45 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

I have gone as long as two weeks, but the expiration date on the eggs was longer than that.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:46 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I don't agree with that. Once you crack the eggs, they're exposed to microorganisms in the air and on surfaces, including the jar and the tools used to make the emulsion, which can then grow in the mayo.
Agreed, but eggs are usually good for a while after the expiration date. I still wouldn't keep homemade mayo more than two weeks.

Tags
other