Mayo prep questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use well-washed Smucker's PB jars for LOTS of food storage! I've gotten to the point where I save empty containers to use as vessels for foods I'm giving to someone. That way they don't have to return it. My favorite go-to right now is the kinda-quart size tub left behind after I finish up the Greek Fage that came with the container.

Great idea! What size are the Smuckers PB jars?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I returned them. Bed Bath doesn't carry the pint size wide mouthed jars. I would have to order them on amazon or some other website. The salesperson at BBB said he buys them individually at Whole Foods for $1.99.

That's a ridiculous price. You can get them at most grocery stores, Walmart, Michael's, Target, etc. They're all over the place these days. I'd expect to pay about $15 or less for a dozen.

That's a ridiculous price. You can get them at most grocery stores, Walmart, Michael's, Target, etc. They're all over the place these days. I'd expect to pay about $15 or less for a dozen.

Wow sounds like Whole Paycheck is taking its customers for a ride. I'm going to see if my local Michael's has them.

Wow sounds like Whole Paycheck is taking its customers for a ride. I'm going to see if my local Michael's has them.

If you only want one or two of them, the I don't think $1.99 each is that outrageous. You often get a better deal on buying by the dozen.

And that's only meaningful if you actually need a dozen of them. I wouldn't hesitate to pay $2 each if I only needed 2.

Well that's good to hear because I don't know what I'll be using them for other than making mayo.

Well that's good to hear because I don't know what I'll be using them for other than making mayo.

Do you ever make anything that you want to freeze?

In my freezer, right now I have in Ball jars: chicken stock, red salsa, green salsa and leftover soups.

In the fridge, I have: fresh ginger in dry sherry, a half cup of homemade chicken stock (left over from making rice the other day), homemade Dijon-style mustard, homemade spicy beer mustard and homemade apple butter.

I often thaw chicken stock, etc., in the microwave but I don't like heating foods in plastic, so I use the glass jars instead.

Gosh, I love Ball jars - they're inexpensive by the case and I use them for so many things. In addition to storing saucy and liquidy things in the freezer and avoiding plastic as GG mentioned, I fill them with water and store fresh herbs in them on the fridge shelf. They're right there where I can see them, and not getting forgotten and mushy in the crisper drawers.

Sometimes I use them to store quinoa, rice, orzo and other small dried pastas for the pantry shelves.

When I want to start new plants, I cut some clippings and put them in water in a Ball jar on the kitchen windowsill so they can root.

Nothing of which has anything to do with homemade mayonnaise...sorry! :ermm::LOL:

Last edited:
Good point about nuking in glass rather than plastic. I just prefer plastic in the freezer because it's not nearly as cold to the touch.

A one pound jar would be pretty close in size to a pint jar.

Hmm, I wonder how easy it is to make the mayo in a plastic jar. The glass ones are a bit heavier and stay put pretty well with the blender going. OTOH, it's not like you can't hold onto the jar while you blend. I have to tip my jar or the blades of my immersion blender don't get into the egg.

The aioli/mayo I made for our porchetta sandwiches earlier this week came out okay, it had capers and lemon jest, used the lemon juice for the acid. But it was just okay and it was a funky color because of the capers. Don't think I'll make that again.

I'll have to try the immersion blender/mason jar next time. I've always made it using the blender and that's a pain to take apart and clean.

I don't keep homemade mayo past 2 days, maybe 3. Just don't like the thought of eating raw egg after that point.

Would those lids fit the wide mouthed pint jars made by Ball?

Yes and at less than $6 for 8, much better price. I use them to store opened packages of nuts, coconut and almond flour. Best thing is, if you buy some quart jars the lids will fit those, too.

I love my Mason and Ball jars. I do can and freeze stuff in them. I got plastic lids for the wide-mouth jars at Walmart, and use them all the time for freezing. The jars are also nice for storing things like dry beans and non-food items like buttons.

The immersion blender works just fine in them.

Last edited:
A one pound jar would be pretty close in size to a pint jar.

Hmm, I wonder how easy it is to make the mayo in a plastic jar. The glass ones are a bit heavier and stay put pretty well with the blender going. OTOH, it's not like you can't hold onto the jar while you blend. I have to tip my jar or the blades of my immersion blender don't get into the egg.

I asked the salesperson at Bed Bath about using plastic jars to make mayo and he said only if it's the same kind of hard plastic used to make the beakers that come with immersion blenders. He said if the plastic gets scratched by the blades bacteria, could more easily seep in to the plastic and contaminate it.

Yes and at less than $6 for 8, much better price. I use them to store opened packages of nuts, coconut and almond flour. Best thing is, if you buy some quart jars the lids will fit those, too.

Oh wow that's a great idea to use it to store flours. Guessing they would stay fresher if they're stored in glass jars rather rather than plastic bags or containers?

I don't keep homemade mayo past 2 days, maybe 3. Just don't like the thought of eating raw egg after that point.

What do makers of commercial mayo use to give it a long shelf life? Doesn't the citric acid in the lemon/lime juice help preserve the other ingredients?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom