Mayo prep questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do makers of commercial mayo use to give it a long shelf life? Doesn't the citric acid in the lemon/lime juice help preserve the other ingredients?
Commercial mayonnaise uses a combination of potassium sorbate, phosphoric acid, and calcium disodium EDTA as a preservative.
Dangers of Calcium Disodium EDTA | LIVESTRONG.COM

I've been making homemade mayo for about 3 years now. In fact, I rarely buy the commercial stuff any longer, unless I'm making something that calls for a lot of mayo.

I use a stick blender to make mine, and it's unbelievably easy. I have no problem keeping it in the fridge longer than 2 days, but a week would be pushing it. I just try to use it up as quickly as possible.

Commercial mayonnaise uses a combination of potassium sorbate, phosphoric acid, and calcium disodium EDTA as a preservative.
Dangers of Calcium Disodium EDTA | LIVESTRONG.COM

I've been making homemade mayo for about 3 years now. In fact, I rarely buy the commercial stuff any longer, unless I'm making something that calls for a lot of mayo.

I use a stick blender to make mine, and it's unbelievably easy. I have no problem keeping it in the fridge longer than 2 days, but a week would be pushing it. I just try to use it up as quickly as possible.

Thanks for the info, Steve! After reading that list, I'm going to stick with homemade mayo from now on! I noticed that I used to have bad skin breakouts after eating Hellman's, but that doesn't happen when I make my own mayo:)

I asked the salesperson at Bed Bath about using plastic jars to make mayo and he said only if it's the same kind of hard plastic used to make the beakers that come with immersion blenders. He said if the plastic gets scratched by the blades bacteria, could more easily seep in to the plastic and contaminate it.

How are the blades going to scratch the jar when they are completely enclosed?

How are the blades going to scratch the jar when they are completely enclosed?

Good point! Maybe it's fine to use plastic jars. If so, that would be great because I have several wide mouthed plastic jars that would work well with my immersion blender.

Oh wow that's a great idea to use it to store flours. Guessing they would stay fresher if they're stored in glass jars rather rather than plastic bags or containers?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I don't buy more than one pound of coconut or almond flours at a time, too pricey. I only use them for dredging and gravy. So the jars are handy for storage.

The come with a pound of the most delicious peanut butter :yum:. It's just under 5 inches tall, the dimension inside the mouth is just a tad over 2 1/2 inches; the interior goes straight down from there.

Thanks for telling me about the Smuckers PB jars! They're the perfect size and the PB is yummy!

Still wondering?

I would give it a shot, Charlie. I use my FP to make nut butters, I don't see why it wouldn't work for mayo. Drizzle your oil through the chimney. Or whatever it's called.

Last edited:
I haven't make homemade mayo, Charlie, but I think a blender works better than a food processor. You need that vortex action that draws the mix down and around to blend it the right way. I THINK. What you really need is someone who KNOWS what they are talking about. Figured if I added something wrong we could call a knowing person out of the shadows. ;)

I have made mayo in a blender. It didn't work as well as the immersion blender does. It didn't get as thick as "real mayo". I suspect the same would happen with a food processor. It did taste fine.

Never used a FP.

I have used a hand held mixer and a small bowl with good results.

I say give it a try and see what happens, if it doesn't work add some additional vinegar and herbs to create a new house salad dressing!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom