"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 01-06-2009, 03:24 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argamemnon View Post
Thank you Andy. Here in the Netherlands certain things that are very common in the US are hard to get. It's a difference of culture. Even pasteurized eggs are hard to get. I've read that people didn't buy the pasteurized eggs so supermarkets stopped selling them. Of course there must be places where they are available, but it's not like in the US...
It's not just you Argamemnon - here in my area of Virginia, pasteurized eggs in the shell are a thing of the past. Several supermarkets carried them for a couple of years, but that went by the wayside about 3-4 years ago. Sad because I really enjoyed using them for sauces & things when I was cooking for guests - especially youngsters & elderly folks. But I guess the market just wasn't there.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:43 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I am responding to the message regarding using pastuerized eggs. I am not familiar with the Netherlands but we can purchase pasteurized eggs in the US. I have an eldeerly relative with a compromized immune system and kids who love to scrape and lick the frosting (made with raw eggs) from the bowl. I began using pastuerized eggs to avoid Salmonella. Possibly you might check out safeeggs.com to find a location in your area to purchase them. I also got discount coupons there.

Alice

Old 01-06-2009, 08:50 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Wink Pasteurized shell eggs

I guess you don't live near a Harris Teeter store in Virginia. They sell Davidson's eggs -- sometimes you have to ask, but they can get them for you. It's a shame though; I think safe food products should be available to everyone. You should bug the people where you shop to sell them.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:56 PM   #14
Master Chef

Actually we do have a fairly new Harris Teeter about 40 minutes away, & one of the first things I checked was whether or not they carried the pasteurized eggs - lol!! No go, but I didn't ask.

We also just had a Wegman's open a couple of months ago, & they didn't have them either. But again, I didn't ask.

Guess I'll have to do some in-store requests & see where that leads me.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:31 AM   #15
Senior Cook

I've read on a Dutch site that you can pasteurize your own eggs.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:56 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argamemnon View Post
I've read on a Dutch site that you can pasteurize your own eggs.
You need the precise temperature to kill the bacteria without cooking the egg. Probably not the safest or easiest thing to do at home.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #17
Head Chef

I doubt if you could do that in a home kitchen. I would anticipate that irradiating an egg would pasteurize it. I'm sure studies are being done to do it, if not done already in some areas. So far I think it is only done with cooked food.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:19 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Pasteurized eggs

Don't try this at home.

The company that pasteurizes them in the shell does it with warm water. But it took the guy ten years to figure out how to do it and it's patented.

Check out the Davidson's Safe Eggs site.

Tags
None