"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 10-26-2007, 04:56 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
So itís not something you just sprinkle all over the place like garlic powder?
Oh you absolutely can do this. It all depends on your tastes. Just as some people go to a restaurant and reach for the salt and pour it all over every thing on their dish, you can do the same thing with MSG.

Buy some and experiment with it. You will be very surprised at what it can do.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:02 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
So, thatís a seasoned salt with MSG, coriander and annatto? There are a few Mexican Markets in town, Iíll check there to see if I can find this. Thanks.

But for a big jar of pure MSG like the one at Amazon, I take it you donít want to use MSG powder very liberally but would instead mix a little into a spice rub of sorts? Perhaps make your own seasoned salt? So itís not something you just sprinkle all over the place like garlic powder?
At the moment I can't remember if it has salt in it. Almost every regular supermarket that carries Goya products carries it.

You can buy Accent in any supermarket, too. That's just straight MSG. You can buy 25 pound boxes of it at asian markets!

Old 10-26-2007, 05:11 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Another yes and yes from me.

MSG is a very misunderstood thing. It is blamed for migranes and headaches and all sorts of other illnesses and in all reality, while it can cause these problems in some people (a very very small minority), the majority of people are not affected by it.

As a matter of fact, I would be willing to bet that almost everyone consumes MSG on a weekly basis without even realizing it. It is in so many prepared supermarket foods and other things.

MSG is a type of salt and as such I use it similar to how I use salt. It is a flavor enhancer. I do not use it on everything just as I would not use kosher salt on everything.

I get mine in the supermarket, under the name Accent. It is sold right were the salt is sold. It is inexpensive so there is no need to buy in bulk if you want to try it keltin.
I can tell you that I am then in the "very very small minority" . I have to look at every single package that I pick up from the supermarket. I have to request it not be added whenever possible.
If I have even the smallest amount, I will get a migraine, and more than likely, I will be sick from it.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:11 PM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Thanks guys! Ok GB, I’m going to Wal-Mart or Target later today, so I’ll look for a little bottle. I’m just gonna experiment with it and see what happens. The whole taste without a taste sounds rather exciting actually. Definitely going to dip my finger in it and try it straight! Can’t wait to see what this is like. Thanks all!
Old 10-26-2007, 05:24 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pouncermom View Post
I can tell you that I am then in the "very very small minority" . I have to look at every single package that I pick up from the supermarket. I have to request it not be added whenever possible.
If I have even the smallest amount, I will get a migraine, and more than likely, I will be sick from it.

That would be very tough, since it goes by so many names! And it's in soooooomany different things.

Can you eat soy sauce and tomatoes and things that have naturally occuring glutamates?
Old 10-26-2007, 05:30 PM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
That would be very tough, since it goes by so many names! And it's in soooooomany different things.

Can you eat soy sauce and tomatoes and things that have naturally occuring glutamates?
or store bought salad dressings, or Doritos, or many things from McDonalds, or Worcestershire sauce, or a million other things.

If it really does affect you then I do feel very sorry. I am sure that can not be easy for you at all.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:53 PM   #17
Executive Chef

MSG tends to be used a fair bit in Oriental cooking. There was a big campaign over here a number of years ago against MSG, so I don't tend to use, just use salt instead.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:05 PM   #18
Master Chef

After reading this thread in it's infancy I went out to the garage and started trying to figure out which box has my copy of The Curious Cook - because McGee devotes an entire chapter to it, if I remember correctly. Well, that's going to take some time .... but I did find the box with my wooden spoons!

Anyway - Wikipedia actually has a good page on MSG that contains the stuff MsGee was talking about (of course I didn't think to look there before I started my scavenger hunt in the garage).
Old 10-26-2007, 06:29 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I have one warning about MSG. It's in many, many foods and as ya'll said, it doesn't bother most folks. It's used a little more heavily in Chinese restaurants. I went with a friend to have Chinese and during the meal, my friend got very weak, pale and started sweating profusely. I was worried he was having a heart attack and suggested we go to the ER. When he agreed right away, I really worried. Turns out it was just a reaction to a heavy dose of MSG. I was surprised because I had eaten the same thing and I was fine. The ER doc said it's so common that they always ask people who are having cardiac symptoms what they have eaten, specifically watching for restaurant Chinese. But he also said it's not necessarily an allergy per se, just a reaction to lots of it at once. So, when you're experimenting keltin, I wouldn't pour it on heavily at first. (Just in case you buy a 25 lb. box!)
Old 10-26-2007, 08:12 PM   #20
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Well, I picked some up! Thanks GB for letting me know itís called Accent. Had no idea!. I actually picked up the Accent and the Goya spice that Jenny uses. The Goya spice was $1.35, but the Accent was $3.45!

I havenít tasted the Goya yet, but the Accent is pretty good. I know everyoneís taste buds are different, but to me, Accent taste a little salty (not nearly as salty as regular salt) with another flavor that is hard to describe. The best I can say is itís ďmeatyĒ like a beef broth is. The texture is a trip. Itís finely granulated like salt, but dissolves into nothing in your mouth. Rather fun to taste!

I think Iíll use the Goya on a Spanish type rice dish Iíll make this weekend, and Iím definitely trying the Accent on that Flat Iron steak Iíve got to cook tomorrow night. I figure to grill the Flat Iron with just salt and pepper, then sprinkle some Accent on a slice or two during serving to see what difference it makes. This should be fun.

Hereís a pic of the two:

And here is my Sous Chef approving of the Accent!

(Just kidding about the last one, I didnít give him any, but he did manage to accommodate me by licking his paw while I had the camera out! Thatís the eldest indoor baby ďAJĒ by the way.)

Tags
None