"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 10-31-2007, 07:01 PM   #51
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun Cook
Hi Green Lady,

You are very correct in what you just stated but then again, plain ole table salt also brings out flavors. Now whether or not that salt tricks the brain I am not sure. I know this is a wierd jump but it might help resolve some issues here. When I was in high school, I had a science teacher that asked us, "where do you think sex happens.......your brain or your naughty bits". As I am sure you all guess, it was the brain. I will let you all fill in the rest.

P.S. I am not trying to pick a fight. Actually I am hoping this will not turn into a free-for-all.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lady View Post
I believe MSG is considered a neurotoxin. The way it works is that it doesn't improve the flavor of the food or, as the Accent commercials used to say, bring out the flavor of food. Instead it TRICKS the brain into thinking the food is better than it actually is.

Something to consider.....

Old 10-31-2007, 07:25 PM   #52
Sous Chef

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmax View Post
Ever seen "Accent"? MSG.

Nope haven't seen that either lol, feeling so deprived right now hahaha

Old 10-31-2007, 07:29 PM   #53
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Actually, MSG is just a taste bud stimulate. It stimulates a specific area just as salt stimulates a specific area to generate the taste sensation of salty.

MSG stimulates specific receptors located in taste buds such as the amino acid receptor T1R1/T1R3 or other glutamate receptors like the metabotropic receptors (mGluR4 and mGluR1) which induce the taste known as umami, one of the five basic tastes (the word umami is a loanword from Japanese; it is also referred to as "savoury" or "meaty").

Wiki article.

MSG (more specifically, glutamates or glutamic acid) was discovered in 1907 by Professor Kikunae Ikeda of Tokyo Imperial University who then went on to name the 5th taste sensation that glutamates trigger as Umami.

He was searching for the elusive taste that was neither salty, sweet, sour, or bitter, but was present in many foods, especially broth made from kombu. He started with a huge amount of kombu and was able to extract crystal of glutamic acid, or glutamate. These glutamate crystals stimulated the receptors which trigger the “taste” he named umami or savory.

So, MSG (more specifically, glutamates or glutamic acid) is just a naturally occurring substance that, like salt, triggers a specific taste sensation. Even without MSG, you still experience the umami flavor/sensation/taste if you eat any savory dish that is heavy in glutamic acid, in particular are tomatoes (and salt really helps to bring this out), asparagus, cheese, meat, etc.

Just as salt is a naturally occurring element (item, seasoning, thing, component, pick your favorite word) in our food, but we add more salt to give an even saltier taste, glutamate is an element present in our food, and you can add more MSG to make the savory or umami flavor/sensation/taste stronger.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:37 PM   #54
Sous Chef

*goes and searches for this umami everyone is talking about and that i have no idea about* excuse me for a moment :)
Old 10-31-2007, 08:11 PM   #55
Sous Chef

cool i'm down with it now...one of the 5 basic tastes....but of course it is :)
Old 10-31-2007, 08:24 PM   #56
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom View Post
cool i'm down with it now...one of the 5 basic tastes....but of course it is :)
Yep. Discovered and named in 1907. Relatively new (comparably speaking to our written understanding of the other 4 taste sensations). I didn’t even know what it was till I came to DC and kept reading cryptic posts like “Soy Sauce = UMAMI”.

I didn’t know what umami was, so I just Googled it and learned about how it was discovered and how MSG, a glutamate additive, can enhance this sensation just as salt can enhance the salty sensation, or sugar can enhance the sweet sensation.

After a bit of pondering, here is this thread where I was wondering outloud if anyone else used a condiment to enhance the umami sensation in much the same way as we use salt for salty, sugar for sweet, etc. It seems MSG has gotten a bad rap over the years, but once you understand it, and use it in moderation of course, it seems a viable condiment to enhance the desired taste sensation.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:30 PM   #57
Sous Chef

welll u certainly learn something new everyday, keltin! i must now go and spread the umami word LOL my bf will probably think i had something dodgy for lunch LOL
Old 11-01-2007, 09:15 AM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I don't use msg anymore cause the bf doesn't like it.
My mom uses it on just about everything though.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:45 PM   #59
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Chefellas
Ever since I can remember,MSG has made my face go a little numb. I personally don't see the need to enhance flavors with MSG.Just add alittle more seasoning.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:15 PM   #60
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun Cook
I do believe some people can have an allergic reaction to the stuff. Some people complain of headaches, some say they have cold like symptoms. I don't mind using it because it doesn't bother me but I have to agree with you on this point, you can certainly boost flavor by other means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefellas View Post
Ever since I can remember,MSG has made my face go a little numb. I personally don't see the need to enhance flavors with MSG.Just add alittle more seasoning.

Tags
None