Mustard!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SierraCook

Master Chef
I went to a Crafts Faire today and bought a jar of champagne roasted garlic mustard from the Nevada Gourmet Grocery. Then I started thinking about how many jars of mustard that I have in the refrigerator. So, I went and counted!! I have ten jars of mustard!! Here is the breakdown.

Chipotle mustard from Kraft (I have 2 of these)
Grey poupon
Hot and Sweet mustard from the Mendocino Mustard Company
Sierra Nevada Stout Stoneground mustard
Mustard with seeds from Mendocino Jams and Preserves
Country Cupboard Smoky Garlic mustard
Beaver Very Hot Chinese mustard
Plain mustard
Jalapeno mustard

Wow!! :rolleyes: I did not realize that I had so much mustard in my refrigerator. So, my question for everyone is what kind of mustard do you have in your refrigerator and what do you like to do with it?

SierraCook said:
I went to a Crafts Faire today and bought a jar of champagne roasted garlic mustard from the Nevada Gourmet Grocery. Then I started thinking about how many jars of mustard that I have in the refrigerator. So, I went and counted!! I have ten jars of mustard!! Here is the breakdown.

Chipotle mustard from Kraft (I have 2 of these)
Grey poupon
Hot and Sweet mustard from the Mendocino Mustard Company
Sierra Nevada Stout Stoneground mustard
Mustard with seeds from Mendocino Jams and Preserves
Country Cupboard Smoky Garlic mustard
Beaver Very Hot Chinese mustard
Plain mustard
Jalapeno mustard

Wow!! :rolleyes: I did not realize that I had so much mustard in my refrigerator. So, my question for everyone is what kind of mustard do you have in your refrigerator and what do you like to do with it?

hmm..I used to have more but I could only find Horseradish Mustard from Kraft in my refrigerator. However, I do have tons of whole mustard seeds and a couple jars of mustard powder. Mustard is such a great sauce since its calories count below 10 or none. I'd love to try some of SierraCook's collections. Especially this one looks very unique...Mustard with seeds from Mendocino Jams and Preserves...

I forgot to mention what I like to do with mustard. I like to use mustard in the obvious way on hamburgers, hotdogs, polish dogs, sandwiches, etc. I use also use it in vinaigrettes and salad dressings. Dipping pretzels in mustard is a favorite snack of mine. That is what I bought the champagne roasted garlic mustard for. Mustard is great smeared on a cut of meat and then grilled. Mustard smeared on a piece of black forest ham and rolled up is another snack of mine.

Last edited:
SuPerKitty said:
hmm..I used to have more but I could only find Horseradish Mustard from Kraft in my refrigerator. However, I do have tons of whole mustard seeds and a couple jars of mustard powder. Mustard is such a great sauce since its calories count below 10 or none. I'd love to try some of SierraCook's collections. Especially this one looks very unique...Mustard with seeds from Mendocino Jams and Preserves...

SK, here is the link for Mendocino Jams and Preserves. The whole mustards seeds in the mustard is what make it great. It gives it a punch and texture.

http://www.mendojams.com/

Colman's English mustard powder
Grey Poupon Dijon mustard
Dijon grain mustard
Dijon mustard with horseradish
English Norfolk grained mustard
Dijon mustard with red wine

My favorite mustard (well, at least this month) is one I found a few months ago, and have gone through a few jars already. I use it for so much! I love it in wraps and dressings, but I really adore it in marinades!
23252.jpg

gulden's spicy brown mustard
gulden's spicy brown with honey mustard
delouise fils whole grain french mustard
colman's hot english mustard
grey poupon dijon mustard
stonewall kitchens maine maple champagne mustard

Only have a couple of types of mustard (not counting mustard powder):

- Dijon mustard (for use in dressings and on cuts of meat cold or hot, also in marinades, favourite is honey, dijon musatd and thyme on pork fillet and roasted, also good for adding into hamburger patty mix)

- Wholegrain (great for sauces (white wine, cream and wholegrain mustard sauce over chicken ohhh yeah) and also on meats when less of a punch than the Dijon is needed)

- typical American-style mild mustard for hotdogs and burgers with ketcup

Can't really bring myself to like English mustard, it bites back!

I'm not one for hot mustards so I usually just have three in my fridge: plain ol'yellow in a squeeze bottle, honey dijon, and organic whole-grain (the last two are divine made into salad dressings) :)

dijon
stone ground
Plain

I like to use the dijon in salad dressings, The stone ground I like to use on scallops before cooking, and the plain mustard I like to mix with coleslaw dressing for a meat fondue dip.

Great Chicken marinade (from "Nenz" on thefoodtv boards)

These are appoximate measurements:

1/4 cup dijon mustard
2T soy sauce
juice of one lemon
2 cloves garlic made into a paste (mince and then mash with the side of your knife)
handful of chopped herbs of your choice
splash of worcestershire sauce
hit of hot sauce (optional)

We have basic French's yellow mustard for the kids and PeppA. I stay away from that stuff unless I'm making my baked beans. Otherwise, it's Dijon Mustard, or Zatarain's Creole Mustard.

I'm not the biggest mustard fan, still developing a tatse for it..but did anyone else see the Unwrapped show on FoodNetwork's segment on the mustard museum?
They had like 2 thousand types!
The owner said he basically put a diff. kind of mustard on everything and of his favorites was sweet mustard on DOUGHNUTS!!:ROFLMAO:

A real treasure trove is the town of Dijon. My daughter was an exchange student whilst still at school and we went to visit...

There are just SOOOOO many Dijonnaise who are involved in some way in the manufacture of moutarde! My daughter made friends with the daughter of a producer who used to make THE most amazing mustards, moutarde with horseradish, with coriander, with red wine - coarse grained types.... He sold his wares in many of the local shops and markets, but they are not available outside Dijon.

Oooo a Dijon mustard with red wine, that sounds fantastic. Could definitely see myself spreading that liberally over a nice steak.

Back
Top Bottom