Onions On a Hot Dog Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I love onions on hot dogs.
What I typically do ,Is
caramelize an onion/ garlic
At the end I add:
- a little ketchup
- splash of vinegar
- paprika
- dash of hot sauce
- S/P to taste

I was wondering if anyone had any other variations or suggestions I can try.

I was thinking up substituting BBQ sauce in place of the ketchup, or smoked paprika in place of the regular paprika.

Larry

I put this in condiments, since the onions kinda being used as a condiment

I make a topping with lots of thinly sliced onions sauted until soft. I add a can of stewed tomatoes, a couple cloves of minced garlic and a small bottle of Crystal hot sauce. Simmer until thickened, being sure to mash up the tomatoes.:yum:

Ever' now and then, I like chow chow on my hot dogs.
Try as I might, I have not been able to locate my grandmother's recipe for chow chow.
Down at the local farmer's market, I can usually find homemade chow chow. The stuff in the stores just don't taste like my grandmother's.

Variations of onions?
You could try onion rings. Maybe putting them in the bottom of the bun would keep them in place better, or give them a cut and lay them in lengthwise. hmmm, that sounds kind of good. I think I'd like the texture.
I make a salad topping with onions and matchstick carrots sautéed with a splash of balsamic vinegar. That would probably go on a hot dog OK. You won't know until you try.
Honestly, my favorite way is just a sweet onion chopped. I don't put a lot of thought into my hot dogs so keep the toppings simple.

in the past ive also made a relish of finely chopped onions, raw cabbage, vinegar and salt , with swiss cheese melted on top. I think i saw if on tv once, sounded strange, but worked well.

That sounds delicious! I always used the grocery's roasted onions. Thanks for the hint, I'm going to try it out :)

In Denmark they put "rested løg" (toasted onion) on hot dogs. An onion is sliced very thin, think mandolin, then cut a bit, into not-too-long pieces. Sprinkle with flour, then shake off excess flour. Fry in neutral oil at 130-150 C (266 - 302 F) until crisp.

Thanks for asking. I had forgotten about the toasted onion and I really like them.

Toasted onion sounds a lot like what we call onion rings, only they cut it before frying instead of after like I suggested.
I've got half a mind to pick up some frozen onion rings and give this a try. I've got the hot dogs and buns.

Toasted onion sounds a lot like what we call onion rings, only they cut it before frying instead of after like I suggested.
I've got half a mind to pick up some frozen onion rings and give this a try. I've got the hot dogs and buns.
I would say that toasted onions are first cousin to onion rings. They are supposed to be completely crispy, with no soft inside, because they are much thinner.

Completely crispy. Gotcha. They sound great.
Most Danes don't bother making them. They are cheap and available in any grocery store, with no added preservatives, (except salt, but not enough to preserve them). BTW, they are shelf stable, so I'm thinking of making a big batch to have them handy. I have read that they aren't shelf stable if you don't add the flour.

In Denmark they put "rested løg" (toasted onion) on hot dogs. An onion is sliced very thin, think mandolin, then cut a bit, into not-too-long pieces. Sprinkle with flour, then shake off excess flour. Fry in neutral oil at 130-150 C (266 - 302 F) until crisp.

Thanks for asking. I had forgotten about the toasted onion and I really like them.
Oops, spelling mistake. That should be "ristede løg".

I know there is French's French fried onions... I used to crush those up and use them as a walleye breading, adhering with mayonnaise, sometimes.

I know there is French's French fried onions... I used to crush those up and use them as a walleye breading, adhering with mayonnaise, sometimes.
I just looked them up. Looks like the same thing, but they add dextrose. Now that I think about it, I think my mum used to buy those.

Yeah, I'm sure it's better to make your own, just not for a couple hot dogs, lol.

Yeah, I'm sure it's better to make your own, just not for a couple hot dogs, lol.
This is actually one of those cases where I think store bought is fine. It's just a little dextrose (why is it there?).

I'm not going to buy them, but that's because of the soy oil.

DA likes to split the hot dogs one half the way through it, stuff the cheddar cheese in it lengthwise, wrap it with the partially cooked bacon, (when it is soft) and hold the things together with the toothpicks.
We put these under the broiler on high until the bacon begins to crisp and the cheese begins to melt and the top of it is crispy but not so burnt.
Then we put the raw chopped red onion on the the top with the ketchup, mustard, dill relish, and the small bit of sauerkraut in the bun.
One could also add chili to the hotdog.

Your friend,
~Cat

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom