Orange Marmalade - Wondrous stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I buy it a few times per year. I like it, but I switch between orange marmlade, grape jam, and blackberry jam.

I make orange marmalade with a tinned seville orange. It is available on Amazon, product is Hartley's Ma Made Thin Cut Seville Oranges, is a product of Spain. It is very easy to make/can.
"My name is Mad Cook And I am a marmalade-aholic".

I share your guilty secret, Beth. I make gallons of marmalade for the family and use Ma-made. It saves s-o-o-o much time. I hate all that peeling and chopping and scraping off of the white pith and tying up the pips and the "veins" in muslin and boiling the peel for ever. Let Hartleys do it for you. And you don't have to fuss about getting a set as the tins have pectin added. Just add sugar and water and boil up.

I do have a bone to pick with Hartleys though. They used to do lemon Ma-made too but discontinued it a few years back. I was warned by an assistant in Morrison's supermarket and I bought up the whole stock. I'm just used the last of my store but have found a different brand in Lakeland.

Incidentally if you follow the instructions I'm sure you don't need to can it as well as the rest of the rigmarole.....Why DO you all can jams and marmalades in America? Do they do it in Canada? Is it because you tend to have hotter summers in the States than we do?

The Seville oranges that I'm familiar with are sour oranges. They are loaded with seeds and only suitable for juicing. They make the best mojo criollo and marinade for Cuban style pork.

I've always loved marmalade, especially on warm toast with melted butter for breakfast. But, I know when I'm sick because the only thing I want to eat is marmalade sandwiches!
In its early days orange marmalade was used as a cure/treatment for seasickness and there is a (probably apocryphal) story that it got it's name from "Marie malade" after Mary Queen of Scots who apparently suffered from seasickness when crossing from France to Scotland to be married.

It's more likely that it comes from the name of a quince preserve common to Portugal and Spain.

The Seville oranges that I'm familiar with are sour oranges. They are loaded with seeds and only suitable for juicing. They make the best mojo criollo and marinade for Cuban style pork.
Yes, ideal for marmalade but not for eating as raw fruit.

It is used in French cooking for Sauce Bigarade to serve with duck (and sometimes with fish).

"My name is Mad Cook And I am a marmalade-aholic".

I share your guilty secret, Beth. I make gallons of marmalade for the family and use Ma-made. It saves s-o-o-o much time. I hate all that peeling and chopping and scraping off of the white pith and tying up the pips and the "veins" in muslin and boiling the peel for ever. Let Hartleys do it for you. And you don't have to fuss about getting a set as the tins have pectin added. Just add sugar and water and boil up.

I do have a bone to pick with Hartleys though. They used to do lemon Ma-made too but discontinued it a few years back. I was warned by an assistant in Morrison's supermarket and I bought up the whole stock. I'm just used the last of my store but have found a different brand in Lakeland.

Incidentally if you follow the instructions I'm sure you don't need to can it as well as the rest of the rigmarole.....Why DO you all can jams and marmalades in America? Do they do it in Canada? Is it because you tend to have hotter summers in the States than we do?

I think it is because we have a bountiful product in the summer. And when it comes harvest time, we hate waste with a passion. One tree of lemons can produce enough product in one season to last a lifetime almost. My girlfriend in California who has a Myer Lemon tree in her front yard does not can. So she invites any and all who are even just passing by to help themselves when the tree is loaded with fruit. Everyday her husband has to go out to pick up the fallen fruit and toss it out to keep the hornets away.

When we plant in the spring, we don't just plant a few seeds, we plant a couple of packages. Way more than we can possibly eat during the harvest. So we can. We don't even want to waste those seeds. We do have three areas that have perfect year round weather for growing. Texas, Florida and California. :angel:

But have you tried a chicken, apricot jam and mayonnaise sandwich? Mmm!

Thanks MC......it happens that we're having chicken sandwiches for dinner tonight.
Half of it will be apricot jam and half orange Marmalde. I really like cranberry sauce on a chicken sandwich too. Hmm, I might have to have three half sandwiches.:pig:

I think it is because we have a bountiful product in the summer. And when it comes harvest time, we hate waste with a passion. One tree of lemons can produce enough product in one season to last a lifetime almost. My girlfriend in California who has a Myer Lemon tree in her front yard does not can. So she invites any and all who are even just passing by to help themselves when the tree is loaded with fruit. Everyday her husband has to go out to pick up the fallen fruit and toss it out to keep the hornets away.

When we plant in the spring, we don't just plant a few seeds, we plant a couple of packages. Way more than we can possibly eat during the harvest. So we can. We don't even want to waste those seeds. We do have three areas that have perfect year round weather for growing. Texas, Florida and California. :angel:
Sorry, I didn't explain myself properly. I wasn't questioning the whole preserving thing. I was querying the canning of jams & marmalade. Here we prepare the fruit and sugar in the usual way, then boil to a set, pour the hot jam into sterilised jars. End of story but I gather you follow this up with the caning procedure and wondered why. Our jams, etc., keep well without any deterioration in quality without the final processing but we have a temperate climate. I know that in many areas of the USA the summers are hotter and more humid and wondered if that was the issue.

I don't grow much apart from the apple trees and some wild sloe (blackthorn) trees that formed the old boundary (they go into sloe gin!) but in the summer I make a point of going to the local greengrocers late on Saturday afternoon (they are closed on Sunday) buy my fruit and veg for the weekend and smile sweetly and usually walk away with a tray of something at a very low price. Depending on the quality of the fruit I'll make jam or chutney with my finds - just ripe or a little under ripe = jam. Very ripe or going over in parts, I cut away any damaged or bruised areas and make fruit chutneys to have over the winter with cold meats or cheese. Last year I was lucky enough to get a whole box of mangos (about 10lbs in weight after I'd removed the pits!) for £1($1.50) and made mango chutney to have with curries. We don't can these after potting up either.

My first husband love orange marmalade. I found it to be too bitter for my taste. But then I am not a very big fan of jellies and jams anyway. :angel:

Love it ! Love basting baked chicken, ham etc but the best is on a hot fresh out of the oven biscuit.
I have always been going to try making it but never have. always make strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, blackberry and apricot jams
Is there a lemon marmalade. I could think of a lot of uses for that.
hmm its only lil after 7am and still got time to make a batch of biscuit for breakfast before work.

I've made kumquat marmalade and grapefruit marmalade. Any citrus can be marmaladed (is that a word?)

Love it ! Love basting baked chicken, ham etc but the best is on a hot fresh out of the oven biscuit.
I have always been going to try making it but never have. always make strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, blackberry and apricot jams
Is there a lemon marmalade. I could think of a lot of uses for that.
hmm its only lil after 7am and still got time to make a batch of biscuit for breakfast before work.
Yes, you can make lemon marmalade. Here you are.

Lemon marmalade | BBC Good Food

Only a small amount from this recipe but you don't want to make too much until you decide if you like it.

NB I don't know if you have the term "granulated" sugar in the States. It's the coarse grained everyday white sugar you put in tea or coffee sugar. You could use "preserving" sugar if you want but I think it's an extra expense and not really necessary in citrus marmalades.

I sometimes add a slug of gin as the two flavours go well together. A couple of tablespoons at the end of boiling sounds a very small amount but it does make a difference (not enough to affect your driving :LOL:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom