"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 07-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #21
Master Chef

Now you have me thinking of some marmalade on a chicken sandwich! Why not?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #22
Senior Cook

I buy it a few times per year. I like it, but I switch between orange marmlade, grape jam, and blackberry jam.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
I make orange marmalade with a tinned seville orange. It is available on Amazon, product is Hartley's Ma Made Thin Cut Seville Oranges, is a product of Spain. It is very easy to make/can.
"My name is Mad Cook And I am a marmalade-aholic".

I share your guilty secret, Beth. I make gallons of marmalade for the family and use Ma-made. It saves s-o-o-o much time. I hate all that peeling and chopping and scraping off of the white pith and tying up the pips and the "veins" in muslin and boiling the peel for ever. Let Hartleys do it for you. And you don't have to fuss about getting a set as the tins have pectin added. Just add sugar and water and boil up.

I do have a bone to pick with Hartleys though. They used to do lemon Ma-made too but discontinued it a few years back. I was warned by an assistant in Morrison's supermarket and I bought up the whole stock. I'm just used the last of my store but have found a different brand in Lakeland.

Incidentally if you follow the instructions I'm sure you don't need to can it as well as the rest of the rigmarole.....Why DO you all can jams and marmalades in America? Do they do it in Canada? Is it because you tend to have hotter summers in the States than we do?
Old 12-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Now you have me thinking of some marmalade on a chicken sandwich! Why not?
But have you tried a chicken, apricot jam and mayonnaise sandwich? Mmm!
Old 12-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #25
Executive Chef

The Seville oranges that I'm familiar with are sour oranges. They are loaded with seeds and only suitable for juicing. They make the best mojo criollo and marinade for Cuban style pork.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismcphee View Post
I've always loved marmalade, especially on warm toast with melted butter for breakfast. But, I know when I'm sick because the only thing I want to eat is marmalade sandwiches!
In its early days orange marmalade was used as a cure/treatment for seasickness and there is a (probably apocryphal) story that it got it's name from "Marie malade" after Mary Queen of Scots who apparently suffered from seasickness when crossing from France to Scotland to be married.

It's more likely that it comes from the name of a quince preserve common to Portugal and Spain.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #27
Executive Chef

I'm making an orange marmalade, ginger and mustard glazing sauce for a ham dinner get-together later this week.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
The Seville oranges that I'm familiar with are sour oranges. They are loaded with seeds and only suitable for juicing. They make the best mojo criollo and marinade for Cuban style pork.
Yes, ideal for marmalade but not for eating as raw fruit.

It is used in French cooking for Sauce Bigarade to serve with duck (and sometimes with fish).
Old 12-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Smucker's in Florida, that ain't right!

It's also good on a scoop of ice cold cottage or ricotta cheese.
Cheat's orange ice cream = marmalade stirred into slightly softened good quality vanilla ice cream and put back in freezer for and hour or so.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
"My name is Mad Cook And I am a marmalade-aholic".

I share your guilty secret, Beth. I make gallons of marmalade for the family and use Ma-made. It saves s-o-o-o much time. I hate all that peeling and chopping and scraping off of the white pith and tying up the pips and the "veins" in muslin and boiling the peel for ever. Let Hartleys do it for you. And you don't have to fuss about getting a set as the tins have pectin added. Just add sugar and water and boil up.

I do have a bone to pick with Hartleys though. They used to do lemon Ma-made too but discontinued it a few years back. I was warned by an assistant in Morrison's supermarket and I bought up the whole stock. I'm just used the last of my store but have found a different brand in Lakeland.

Incidentally if you follow the instructions I'm sure you don't need to can it as well as the rest of the rigmarole.....Why DO you all can jams and marmalades in America? Do they do it in Canada? Is it because you tend to have hotter summers in the States than we do?
I think it is because we have a bountiful product in the summer. And when it comes harvest time, we hate waste with a passion. One tree of lemons can produce enough product in one season to last a lifetime almost. My girlfriend in California who has a Myer Lemon tree in her front yard does not can. So she invites any and all who are even just passing by to help themselves when the tree is loaded with fruit. Everyday her husband has to go out to pick up the fallen fruit and toss it out to keep the hornets away.

When we plant in the spring, we don't just plant a few seeds, we plant a couple of packages. Way more than we can possibly eat during the harvest. So we can. We don't even want to waste those seeds. We do have three areas that have perfect year round weather for growing. Texas, Florida and California.

Tags
orange, orange marmalade