Pantry Chili sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aunt Bea

Master Chef
Since I was a kid growing up I have always loved the smell of chili sauce bubbling away. I did not make it for many years becauce all of the old recipes that my Grandmother and Mother made started with a peck of tomatoes and yielded quarts of chili sauce. The recipe below is a good compromise and can be made quickly with ingredients normally found in a home pantry. I hope you will give it a try!

Pantry Chili Sauce
1 one pound can of whole peeled tomatoes. (This is now a 14 ½ ounce can. You can use diced, crushed, stewed etc…)
1/3 cup of vinegar (White or Apple Cider)
1/3 cup of light brown sugar
1/3 cup each of finely diced celery, onion, and green pepper.
½ t each of salt, ginger, cinnamon, allspice.
¼ each of black pepper and ground cloves.
Put tomatoes into a saucepan and break them up if they are whole or in large pieces, add all other ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so. Using a stick blender or food processor blend until the texture is a course puree. Cool and refrigerate. This recipe yields one pint.

Since I was a kid growing up I have always loved the smell of chili sauce bubbling away. I did not make it for many years becauce all of the old recipes that my Grandmother and Mother made started with a peck of tomatoes and yielded quarts of chili sauce. The recipe below is a good compromise and can be made quickly with ingredients normally found in a home pantry. I hope you will give it a try!

Pantry Chili Sauce
1 one pound can of whole peeled tomatoes. (This is now a 14 ½ ounce can. You can use diced, crushed, stewed etc…)
1/3 cup of vinegar (White or Apple Cider)
1/3 cup of light brown sugar
1/3 cup each of finely diced celery, onion, and green pepper.
½ t each of salt, ginger, cinnamon, allspice.
¼ each of black pepper and ground cloves.
Put tomatoes into a saucepan and break them up if they are whole or in large pieces, add all other ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so. Using a stick blender or food processor blend until the texture is a course puree. Cool and refrigerate. This recipe yields one pint.

Thanks Aunt Bea,
I can just imagine the wonderful smell that fills the kitchen. Will give this a try sometime this week.
kadesma:yum:

Thanks, Aunt Bea. I've been wanting to make this, but had the same problem of making too much!

Oh, this sounds good, and I have all the stuff! Thanks Aunt Bea!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom