"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 10-25-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Plochman's or French's? Which one should I buy?

Hey folks,

NooB here from nordic Europe. Just joined. Whenever I come to North America, which is like every 3 years or so, I never have enough space in my luggage to bring back loads of mild yellow mustard squeeze-barrels, lol. Last time I was in Toronto, I brought back 8 squeezers of a local supermarket's stuff, but didn't have enough space for more. You're wondering now why this crazy monkey can't just go to my local grocery store and get mild yellow mustard from here. Well, we have other yellow mustards, but not the type which makes a hot dog and sandwich so special as the typical North American mild yellow mustard does.

Anyways, I'm really missing the stuff. I like French's classic yellow. Now, while surfing, I've heard about Plochman's. (Never tasted it, though )

I was gonna buy a big box of Plochman's, like two dozen, and get my Austin, TX pal to airmail the "hamper" to me, but I wanted to ask you good folks here which of the brands you recommmend and why, before I make the purchase decision.

Cheers,
RS

Old 10-25-2006, 03:43 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Welcome, rollingstoe. If you have a friend who can send you stuff from the USA, can't you have him send you French's? Is it because of a price difference?

Old 10-25-2006, 03:46 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Arrow

Hi Andy,

You're spot on, the price diff is the issue. I found this place online which sells the Plochman's at around 30% cheaper, per squeeze-barrel, than the French's.

/RS
Old 10-25-2006, 03:51 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I've never had Plochman's but I'm sure someone will be along before too long to offer an answer.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:56 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Taste is such an individual thing. Even if everyone here said that Plochman's was great, you could taste it and hate it.

Would it be possible to have your friend send you just one sample to try befor you commit to a whole case? I know that would probably cost a decent amount of $, but maybe it would save you money in the long run.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:04 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Yes, I'll try that idea, and get a sample. Thanks for the suggestion, GB! But, before I sign off, given that the sample's gonna take like a month to get here (lol), and given my curiosity, I have to ask whether there's anybody here who can definitively say whether there is a discernable difference in taste between the French's and Plochman's. See, I heard that French's put a lot of turmeric in their mild yellow product, but what about the Plochman's? Mind you, I've got nothing against turmeric, and actually use it frequently in Punjabi cooking :)

Cheers,
RS
Old 10-25-2006, 04:07 PM   #7
Master Chef

ANd here we are running over to Ikea to buy Scandanavian mustard! I have some in my fridge.

Never had Plochman's but is it that much cheaper?
Old 10-25-2006, 04:11 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

I actually have never even heard of Plochman's. I hope someone comes along to give you some good first hand experience.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:15 PM   #9
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I've had Plochmann's... but I don't like yellow mustard, so I'm not a good judge of whether it's as good as French's, because I prefer Dijon and sometimes Dusseldorf mustard....

sorry I'm not much help!
Old 10-25-2006, 04:20 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
ANd here we are running over to Ikea to buy Scandanavian mustard! I have some in my fridge.

Never had Plochman's but is it that much cheaper?
Hey there,

Yes, indeed, it seems that French's is cashing in on its name-recognition. I would, normally, just go ahead and buy French's, but given the price diff saving with Plochman's, partic. if I were to buy like a load of 50 or so, as well as the fact that I wanna experience other brand's flavours, I'm interested in finding out about Plochman's.

This mild yellow mustard-thing is becoming a food-obsession of mine, lol.

RS

PS. Hope you like your nordic mustard!

Tags
None