Poll: Pickle Relish ~ Dill, or Sweet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pickle Relish: Dill, or Sweet?

• Dill

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Sweet

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Either-or. Depends on my mood

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
If you use pickle relish, do you prefer dill or sweet? Or, like children, do you love them equally?

I'm a strictly dill relish girl. However, I do have a small jar of baby gerkins in care I need to use them in a recipe that just isn't right without them, such as a remoulade. That jar of gerkins, though, is as close as I get to a sweet pickle.

What works in your kitchen and on your taste buds?

Sweet relish. I use it mostly in the summer to add a couple of small spoonfuls for potato or macaroni salad. And it is the only condiment I like on a hot dog if sour kraut is not available.

A hotdog is not a hotdog without mustard and sweet relish (never ketchup, oh, the horror), maybe some kraut. I also like sweet relish in my tuna, potato and ham salads.

Last edited:
Both. Our tarter sauce has equal portions of dill and sweet pickle relish, with some capers added. We like sweet and we like savory and the balance is perfect.

Dill only! Do not like sweet pickles, ucky! [emoji38] I don't actually buy relish - I buy dill pickle spears and mince them as needed for tuna salad, deviled eggs and remoulade. Yellow ballpark mustard and ketchup on my hotdogs and the same plus sliced dill pickles on my burgers.

I do buy bread and butter pickle spears for DH to have with a sandwich, but I do the cooking, and I don't use them in anything else.

Dill definitely for me.
Having the word "sweet" and "Pickle" in the same sentence, should be considered a crime ( according to my taste buds).

I just never got used to it.

I really dislike anything pickled. It is a rude thing to do to a vegetable. Except sauerkraut, I like that. And I will add a little bit of sweet relish to a potato salad, to please other house members.

I really dislike anything pickled. It is a rude thing to do to a vegetable. Except sauerkraut, I like that. And I will add a little bit of sweet relish to a potato salad, to please other house members.
Ha ha, that's hilarious! :ROFLMAO: I *love* pickles of all kinds. A standard summer side dish when I was growing up was a bowl of sliced cucumbers soaking in distilled vinegar. I loved it so much that I drank the vinegar at the end of dinner. Now I have a collection of at least 15 vinegars.

I go with sugar free sweet relish, made with Splenda.

I get the store brand or this one from Mt. Olive.
009300001069.gif

Sweet relish is called Boston gurka ( cucumber) here and I do like it but I am the only one and I cant eat a whole time, because I get bored of it.

On my hot dog, mustard and ketchup ( it normal here) and when I feel festive shrimp salad.

But I prefer my cucumber salty ( as stored in brine) but it has really vinegary if I have it pickled.

I like both. I have no preference on a hot dog -- although when I'm in NYC, I get mustard and kraut on my "dirty water dogs."

If I am using mayo on a sandwich, I prefer dill. I make my tuna salad with Miracle Whip, and prefer sweet relish in that.

CD

Depends on what I am making. Dill relish for tartar sauce, sweet relish for various salad makings. I've also found I prefer dill relish with capers, oil and vinegar in my salmon salads.

Sweet. Sweet. I was 40 before I even knew that they made dill relish (yuck). :sick:

The first time I tasted dill relish was by accident - I was dressing a hot dog at the golf course - they had contracted with a new franchisee for the food service, and they replaced the sweet relish with dill in the condiment tray at the snack bar. I fixed my dog like I always had (yellow mustard, sweet relish, onion, sometimes jalapeños), took one bite and spit it out - utterly horrid. I was actually irked enough to complain to the manager and got the sweet back at the snack bar by the next week. Now they have both, and thankfully the dill is easily distinguished by its olive drab color, not the happy, bright green of sweet relish. :angel:

I'll add that I don't care for dill pickles of any sort, with the proviso that I can live with couple of slices as long as they are well disguised among several other condiments on a sandwich or hamburger. Not a fan of sauerkraut either.

Sweet....

Mostly on hot dogs, in tuna mix, etc.. Always in my mac salad...

My daughter and her family prefer dill so, when I make mac salad for family gatherings, I make it both ways..

When I do buy pickle relish, it's dill.
I use it for Tuna salad, Egg salad, homemade tater sauce or remoulade, that's it.
I also have in my `fridge Boar's Head brand Dill Pickles for out-of-hand-eating (that I slice into spears, chips or dice) and will on occasion use for recipes if I"m out of relish.
A few years back my Mother and I went to Famous Dave's BBQ place in Tucson and I LOVE his Signature Spicy Pickle Chips, oh my. Wonderful for out-of-hand-eating as well, but I don't use them for any recipes, great on a Burger (with a schmear of mayo is nice) or a Dog (mustard and TJ's `kraut please) or a sandwich for that matter. I'm just guessing that they're a type of Bread and Butter pickle? Not really sure, but MMM! :yum:

Last edited:
I wish I'd seen this thread before I went to the grocery store today. I didn't know there was such a thing as dill relish and I'm nearly 70. Hmmm. Never too late to try something new. I like pickled anything. One of my favorite pickled foods is okra. Yum. Reminds me. There's some in the storage room shelf. Might put it in the fridge for tomorrow.:rolleyes:

I like to chop hot pickled jalapeños and mix them in with sweet relish. I use the mixture on hot dogs and when I make tartar sauce.

That sounds good. I love to blend sweet and hot. I'll have to try that.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom