Quick question about kimchi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
I have a jar of store-bought kimchi. It’s been opened and it’s been in the fridge for several months. Does kimchi go bad? If it does, how can you tell?

I have a jar of store-bought kimchi. It’s been opened and it’s been in the fridge for several months. Does kimchi go bad? If it does, how can you tell?

This is the commercial brand of Kim Chee that we like and buy, when we can find it..

https://www.halmsenterprises.com/collections/kim-chee/products/halms-head-cabbage-kim-chee

Check the label Joel, if there's a preservative I would say you're good, so long as there's no real sour/fizzy taste AND no mold in the jar. If you kept it cold, I push mine to the far reaches of the `fridge where it's the coldest, you should be okay until you finish the jar.

That's my two cents anyways.

I've never seen mold in a jar of kimchi, but it does go bad. If it appears to be getting fizzy, like little bubbles in it, it has gone over.

I've never seen mold in a jar of kimchi, but it does go bad. If it appears to be getting fizzy, like little bubbles in it, it has gone over.

I got slivers at the thought of that taste image BT!!
Tasted some Won Bok Kim Chee like that once... I ran
to the trash can and spat it out :sick:
To this day, I can't eat that kine, gotta be Cucumber or Green Cabbage :LOL:

Well, it’s not bubbling or fizzy, and there’s no mold. It smells pretty funky, but it’s kimchi! Guess I’ll give it a try.

I don't think that you have to worry about it if it's canned, as it is no longer alive, STS. And with all that salt, it probably keeps forever. I've had similar canned items (red in snow, Szechwan preserved vegetable, and other Chinese pickled veggies) keep for many months, until used up.

Ive had homemade kimchi in the fridge for more than a year.

Its fine to eat, as others have said. But the taste gets VERY funky as it ages ...

Back
Top Bottom