"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 01-09-2011, 08:44 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Roasted Green Chili Salsa

Roast the following: Peppers: 3-4 poblanos, 6 jalapenos, 6 serranos, 1 habernero; 12-15 tomatillos, 1 onion, 1 garlic head

Roast all until peppers are charred & blackened. Put all in a covered container & let steam until cool.

Gently rub the skin off the peppers & remove stems & seeds. I do this in the sink under cold running water. Wearing latex gloves & a particle dust mask may be advisable, the process makes me cough a little. Remove the burned onion skin & squish out the roasted garlic.

Put all the above in a food processor & add the juice of a lime and either a handful of cilantro, or flat parsley or both. Salt & black pepper to taste, I use about 1/2 tsp. Run food processer until it is smooth. 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce added to the mix gives a tinge of smokiness. You can also add some reconstituted dry chilis, but you will end up with a red salsa instead of green & the dried chilis will change the flavor quite a bit.

I always use the poblanos, jalapenos & a habernero, the other peppers depend on what is available as long as they are green & have some heat. I have also substituted leeks for the onion.

This makes about 3 quarts. I put it in mason jars or other glass jars I have & put it in the refrigerator, it will last 6-8 weeks. If you want it thinner add water or chicken broth, the salsa thickens up quite a bit after refrigerated.

It goes well with any meats, fish, fried potatoes, eggs, soups & of course green chili.

Tim Abbott

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9734.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	9516  

Old 01-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
Head Chef

I have some tomatillo salsa in my refrigerator, I made it from those I grew in the garden. I froze it originally and now I've thawed some of it.

Do you only serve it cold or do you serve it hot? Mostly, I've used it as a salsa for chips, cold. I'd like to have more ways to use it.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
Senior Cook

That....sounds....HOT!
Old 01-13-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Hi blissful,

I have always served it cold when used as a dip/salsa. I often put it over fried potatoes, add it to a soup, its good on eggs, I even put it on some mixed fruit once.

Hi AnnieDrews,

It really isn't very hot, I think the roasting & removing the seeds has an influence.

Tim Abbott
Old 01-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

I love this salsa. I use it to make Chicken Enchiladas. Yum!
Old 01-13-2011, 10:33 PM   #6
Head Chef

Copied and pasted.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I use my "salsa verde" with chicken as well as cold as a salsa for chips.

Tags
chili