Roasted Root Vegetable Mayo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
First, this is not REAL mayonnaise as it has no eggs in it, but the technique and use are the same.

I did this the first time with carrots only, since then I've branched out to include other root vegetables, found the recipe in a local independent newspaper.

5 carrots, trimmed, rubbed with olive oil, coarse salt and fresh ground pepper

one clove of garlic, trimmed

Roast in a closed pan in a 375°F oven until tender. Allow to cool.

Using a stick blender, in a tall slender vessel add the garlic, a tablespoon of oregano, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the carrots, mash well with blender and start adding in 1/4 cup olive oil at a time. Blend well with each addition. When you get to the 4th 1/4 cup, start dribbling it in, you want this to be thick. You may not use all of it.

This can be chilled and used like you would real mayo. The beet one is really good!

First, this is not REAL mayonnaise as it has no eggs in it, but the technique and use are the same.

I did this the first time with carrots only, since then I've branched out to include other root vegetables, found the recipe in a local independent newspaper.

5 carrots, trimmed, rubbed with olive oil, coarse salt and fresh ground pepper

one clove of garlic, trimmed

Roast in a closed pan in a 375°F oven until tender. Allow to cool.

Using a stick blender, in a tall slender vessel add the garlic, a tablespoon of oregano, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the carrots, mash well with blender and start adding in 1/4 cup olive oil at a time. Blend well with each addition. When you get to the 4th 1/4 cup, start dribbling it in, you want this to be thick. You may not use all of it.

This can be chilled and used like you would real mayo. The beet one is really good!
PF. wow this is a great idea. I love things like this and will give it a try as soon as the holidays are over and I can think clearly. Thanks so much for sharing with us.
ma

I really want to try it with just onions, but I think that might be a little much. Thanks, Ma! I just got done making a batch. You can just steam the veg too, the flavor is not as deep, but it is fresh/crisp tasting.

I really want to try it with just onions, but I think that might be a little much. Thanks, Ma! I just got done making a batch. You can just steam the veg too, the flavor is not as deep, but it is fresh/crisp tasting.

This sounds delicious! Can I add a bit of lemon for tang like with real mayo?

Of course, it's yours, you can add anything you like!:):) You can change the oregano to something else, too!

Thanks :) I'll try it with carrots tonight. Having dinner with friends for New Year, I think this will make a nice dip for snacks :yum:
P.S I think making it with only onion will be great, they're not that strong cooked.

I bought some aioli that was just garlic, oil, and parsley. I betcha that's how it is made. It was really, really good.

Tomorrow the carrots, then comes leeks or Italian onions and garlic. Will just get them all and go for it. bet we love them all.
ma

Back
Top Bottom