"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 09-08-2008, 08:29 AM   #11
Head Chef

Thank you all!

Uncle Bob, I was thinking it [shelf life] had to be in the one year range. We only use it when we make fried rice and that kick ended last spring so I have about 1/2 a bottle left.

Expatgirl, I was concerned with it going rancid so I think you are right on the mark. We use other nut oils, especially hazelnut oil, and I am very careful about their smell.

Thank you all again!

Old 09-08-2008, 08:47 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger
Uncle Bob, I was thinking it [shelf life] had to be in the one year range. We only use it when we make fried rice and that kick ended last spring so I have about 1/2 a bottle left.
Try just a few drops mixed in a good Soy sauce... lightly brush on grilled meats...especially beef....Not bad..Not bad at all!

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:04 AM   #13
Master Chef

I do a LOT of Asian cooking, & for over 30 years have ALWAYS had bottles of both "regular" & "hot" Sesame Oil in my pantry. While I've always & will continue to give the bottle(s) a "sniff" before use (as I do with all oils), I've not yet had Sesame Oil ever go rancid in the pantry - even after longer than a year. And believe me, there's no mistaking an oil that's "turned", even if you've never smelled it before.

My fridge is already (& always) stuffed to the rafters. Any product that can maintain its quality in the pantry definitely has its home there, & is worth its weight in gold to me.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:30 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
Well, since there is no such thing as a "cool, dry" place here, I refrigerate. It took me almost two years to find a bottle of sesame oil here. Too precious to waste.
Maybe someone here could send you one when you run out.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:49 AM   #15
Master Chef

MexicoKaren - Two years to find Sesame Oil? Have you looked online? There are very few Asian food product sites that don't sell it.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:49 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Maybe someone here could send you one when you run out.
I could do this. Karen, you probably paid an arm & a leg too. Or, at least one limb. It's one of the few inexpensive things here. So ask away, dear lady.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:43 AM   #17
Executive Chef

That's what I was thinking. The Asian grocery store I go to has small bottles of sesame oil for about $2US. We're talking maybe 6 fl oz. Postage can't be that expensive.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:53 AM   #18
Head Chef

Oh guys - thanks for your offers, but you cannot imagine the difficulty in getting something sent to Mexico. In many ways, Mexico is surprisingly advanced, but mail delivery is not one of them. For our little town (app. 7,000 pop), there are TWO mail carriers. No guarantee that you will ever receive what is sent to your street address. So, we have our US mail sent to a mail forwarding service in Laredo, TX and then it is sent UPS to a Mailboxes, Etc. site in Puerto Vallarta. Anything we have sent to us is charged 100% duty, including gifts that other people send us. So we don't order anything unless we are DESPERATE for it.....

Tags
None