Sriracha

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So far, I saw Sriracha in two of our grocery stores and the only one they have is Cha! by Texas Pete. I normally don't like hot sauce and never buy it, but I really liked the Sweet Lava Chili I had. I will probably by a bottle of the Cha! and experiment with it. From what I read online it is sweeter but not as hot as some other brands.

So far, I saw Sriracha in two of our grocery stores and the only one they have is Cha! by Texas Pete. I normally don't like hot sauce and never buy it, but I really liked the Sweet Lava Chili I had. I will probably by a bottle of the Cha! and experiment with it. From what I read online it is sweeter but not as hot as some other brands.

Sounds like a really new product Carol. Checking the ingredient list for it, MADE OF CHILE, SUGAR, GARLIC, SALT, VINEGAR. GO for it!

The Rooster is...Chili, sugar, salt, garlic, vinegar, the salt and garlic contents are reversed.

I too never bought hot sauce before Sriracha. I think I objected to so much vinegar in the others.

Sriracha + mayo = dipping sauce of the gods!

Sounds good to me! I like the idea that I can control the amount of Sriracha I add, according to my taste.

Here is another menu item from the menu of our local restaurant. I think I will be trying this next.

Enjoy our Sweet Lava Chicken Melt, made with two slices of grilled sourdough bread piled high with breaded chicken tenders, provolone cheese and coleslaw, all topped with our signature Sweet Lava sauce! It’s melty, cheesy and delicious!

Kayelle, I will be buying a bottle of Cha! the next time I'm in the grocery store.

I tried some of the Rooster Sriracha at our local Chinese resto. I found it rather ho hum. I usually go to a West Indian store and find something with an ingredient list I like. I have liked all of those better than sriracha. These aren't sauces with much vinegar. I like Frank's, but it's awfully salty.

Sriracha is okay, but not universal, in my opinion. It has a very distinctive flavor that doesn't always work well in all dishes. The same is true of most hot sauces. Tabasco is easy to identify. Franks also has it's own flavor.

Sometimes I want that flavor added to a dish or condiment, other time I want some heat without changing the flavor profile of the dish. For that I'll use a very hot sauce, like some habenero sauces, which can add a lot of heat before you can really taste the sauce. We also have what in the Bahamas is called Goat Pepper sauce, made, bottled and sold by a woman on the island we lived on - very hot stuff. I always try to keep some of it on hand. This is about the time of year that goat peppers and finger peppers start showing up in the island markets. We used to buy them at the island packing house where the local farmers take their produce to be shipped to the other islands. I'd buy a pound of each for about $6 total, enough killer peppers to last all year.

Lately I've even been skipping the sauce and using ghost pepper salt - wicked hot and can just be subbed for part of the salt in a recipe. Gives a nice controllable heat (after a little experimentation) without any real flavor of it's own.

Last edited:
I have never found anything I like better than the Rooster.
Same here. I'm a hot sauce fanatic - there's currently 13 different bottles in my fridge. Whenever I see a brand of sriracha I haven't tried, I always pick up a bottle. But nothing ever compares to the good ol' Rooster!

Surprisingly, the variety made by Frank's is my least favourite... and the sriracha offered at Subway is one my faves.

Sriracha + mayo = dipping sauce of the gods!
YES!!!! Toss a bit of basil and dill in there and you have an INCREDIBLE dipping sauce for french fries, roasted potatoes, chicken fingers, schnitzel... anything!!! :ROFLMAO:

YES!!!! Toss a bit of basil and dill in there and you have an INCREDIBLE dipping sauce for french fries, roasted potatoes, chicken fingers, schnitzel... anything!!! :ROFLMAO:

I heard a radio program this week with two of the America's Test Kitchen folks being interviewed. According to them, sriracha added to mayo is a great accompaniment to veggie burgers.

The other day we, my DW, two daughters and I were in a grocery store, somehow we got separated, by the time we reconect, my two daughters had a bottle of Sriracha in their hands, my wife had one and so did I. We started laughing so hard manager came running, he thought something might have happened. When he heard the story he was laughing right there with us. We did buy only one bottle though. :LOL:

The other day we, my DW, two daughters and I were in a grocery store, somehow we got separated, by the time we reconect, my two daughters had a bottle of Sriracha in their hands, my wife had one and so did I. We started laughing so hard manager came running, he thought something might have happened. When he heard the story he was laughing right there with us. We did buy only one bottle though. :LOL:
:LOL::LOL: Great story, Charlie! I like sriracha mixed with some cream cheese on a toasted onion whole wheat bagel...

Back
Top Bottom