Téméraíre or Musette mustard - really mild whole-grain mustard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seans_potato_business

Senior Cook
A few years ago I bought a wholegrain mustard from Costco branded 'Téméraíre' and it wasn't what I was expecting but much better. It was so mild you could just eat a spoonful if you wanted (I never did; I think it would be a waste). It was sort of sweet and tangy.

Téméraíre has changed their name to Musette and their mustard is a little difficult to get and expensive. I was wondering whether anyone here would know of a wholegrain mustard so mild you could just put it in your mouth like it was mayonnaise (also not something I ever did; I'm just trying to get a point across). Is it a specific variety of mustard? I don't know much about mustards except that in the past I've always had to use them sparingly because they were too hot.

Why not make your own to taste. Very simple to make . I buy half yellow and half brown mustard seeds half a cup of each. Add a teaspoon of salt, half a teaspoon of citric acid and cover the seeds with beer. Leave overnight. The seeds will absorb the beer. Then I blend it just a bit with a stick blender and bottle. Leave it for about two or three days to mature. It's very bitter before then.
This is to my taste so browse a bit online if you want something a bit sweet.

Thanks for the response; indeed I was considering that making some mustard might be the best solution. Have you any idea what makes a mustard hot or not? This mustard I would like to replicate wasn't hot at all which I previously thought was not possible (I thought it was an inherent property of the mustard seeds or something)!

Thanks for the response; indeed I was considering that making some mustard might be the best solution. Have you any idea what makes a mustard hot or not? This mustard I would like to replicate wasn't hot at all which I previously thought was not possible (I thought it was an inherent property of the mustard seeds or something)!

Cook's Thesaurus: Global Spices

Scroll down to "mustard seeds"

My pleasure. The yellow or white are milder, then brown then black. You can add honey or sugar to your mustard as well to sweeten it. Try small quantities first till you get your blend right.

This article describes the chemistry of mustard seeds and what makes the mustard more or less hot (in addition to the types of seeds, as Snip said). It includes links to several recipes for different types of mustards. I make the Dijon-style whole grain mustard. It's similar to Snip's recipe but uses wine and white wine vinegar instead of beer.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/...dijon-brown-spicy-yellow-hot-whole-grain.html

Back
Top Bottom