"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 11-04-2015, 10:09 AM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
BTW, what does anyone put tartar sauce on nowadays?
Same things as always, usually fried fish and fried shrimp. I've never cared for red cocktail sauce on anything that's fried, much prefer tartar sauce. I'll eat fried shrimp without anything rather than use red sauce on them, even though I love chilled boiled shrimp with a spicy cocktail sauce.

Also not a big fan of the dill tartar sauce that many restaurants (Red Robin for one) are fond of serving with fish 'n chips.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:34 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Same things as always, usually fried fish and fried shrimp. I've never cared for red cocktail sauce on anything that's fried, much prefer tartar sauce. I'll eat fried shrimp without anything rather than use red sauce on them, even though I love chilled boiled shrimp with a spicy cocktail sauce.

Also not a big fan of the dill tartar sauce that many restaurants (Red Robin for one) are fond of serving with fish 'n chips.
Ditto here. The more simple, the better. Relish and mayo. It is when they doctor it up and think they are improving it, that it loses its appeal. It then overpowers the flavor of the sea. Don't forget fried clams. For lobster, melted butter.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:16 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Since we started making roasted garlic tartar sauce, no other recipe will do! Of course, for shrimp, soft shell crab or fried oyster Po Boys, nothing can compete with a nice NOLA remoulade.
Craig. I would love each recipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Ditto here. The more simple, the better. Relish and mayo. It is when they doctor it up and think they are improving it, that it loses its appeal. It then overpowers the flavor of the sea. Don't forget fried clams. For lobster, melted butter.
Then why use anything? You could use malt vinegar which I love on fried fish.
I find the more you add the better it gets.

Finely chopped onion.
Parsley.
Old Bay.
Hot sauce.
Lemon or lime juice.
Salt and pepper.
Mustard.
Relish.
Chopped pickles.
ect...................... You name it.

Many things would work well. I use what I have on hand and in many instances I don't make it because I don't have enough ingredients to make a decent tartar sauce.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:31 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
For me, just fish 'n chips. I like the fries dipped in tartar sauce too, because I don't like catsup. I don't have that meal very often so it's a real treat when I do.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:12 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Craig. I would love each recipe.

Finely chopped onion.
Parsley.
Old Bay.
Hot sauce.
Lemon or lime juice.
Salt and pepper.
Mustard.
Relish.
Chopped pickles.

Many things would work well. I use what I have on hand and in many instances I don't make it because I don't have enough ingredients to make a decent tartar sauce.
Never have figured out what people like about malt vinegar. Tried it once, and to me, it's just vinegar, and like any vinegar when used by itself, it becomes the dominant flavor in the dish. It requires other strong flavors to balance it, and fried fish simply doesn't need that sort of treatment.

I don't know what kind of fish is used for fish and chips in the UK, but over here it's usually cod or some similar mild tasting fish, and for me it's the fish that's supposed to be the star of the show, not the condiment. I like tartar sauce with it, but in moderation, and no vinegar. When I order it in a restaurant, if I don't like the sauce that it's served with, I eat it with just a little salt, nothing else.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:25 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Never have figured out what people like about malt vinegar. Tried it once, and to me, it's just vinegar, and like any vinegar when used by itself, it becomes the dominant flavor in the dish. It requires other strong flavors to balance it, and fried fish simply doesn't need that sort of treatment.

I don't know what kind of fish is used for fish and chips in the UK, but over here it's usually cod or some similar mild tasting fish, and for me it's the fish that's supposed to be the star of the show, not the condiment. I like tartar sauce with it, but in moderation, and no vinegar. When I order it in a restaurant, if I don't like the sauce that it's served with, I eat it with just a little salt, nothing else.
I agree, and I'm a vinegar fiend! DH likes malt vinegar with his fish 'n chips, though. In the UK, they also use primarily cod or haddock for this dish. We enjoyed it several times during our week in Ireland in 2003

There used to be an Irish restaurant nearby that served Marie Rose sauce with their fish 'n chips - that was delicious
Old 11-04-2015, 01:26 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post

Finely chopped onion.
Parsley.
Old Bay.
Hot sauce.
Lemon or lime juice.
Salt and pepper.
Mustard.
Relish.
Chopped pickles.

I guess you don't really want to taste the fish...
Old 11-04-2015, 03:02 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
I grill a lot of salmon and fry rock fish - trout, too.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:05 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I guess you don't really want to taste the fish...

I taste the fish just fine.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:46 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Bushrod View Post

I taste the fish just fine.
I was talking to someone else, as should be evident from my quote, but okay ...

Tags
sauce