"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-04-2015, 11:28 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,045
I just mentioned to Pirate Craig's idea of roasted garlic in the tartar sauce. His mouth started to salivate. One can never have too much garlic. And even more so for roasted garlic.

Gee, now I have to go clean up the drool.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:35 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,045
[QUOTE=GotGarlic;1442686]I agree, and I'm a vinegar fiend! DH likes malt vinegar with his fish 'n chips, though. In the UK, they also use primarily cod or haddock for this dish. We enjoyed it several times during our week in Ireland in 2003 [QUOTE]

Spike loves the Italian Red Wine Vinegar. For me it is Apple Cider or the Chinese vinegar. But not the ones that have sugar in them. But for the life of me I do not understand anyone who uses white vinegar for their food. Anytime I see a recipe that calls for it, I substitute Apple Cider vinegar.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:54 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Spike loves the Italian Red Wine Vinegar. For me it is Apple Cider or the Chinese vinegar. But not the ones that have sugar in them. But for the life of me I do not understand anyone who uses white vinegar for their food. Anytime I see a recipe that calls for it, I substitute Apple Cider vinegar.
Have you ever tried it? One of the things we almost always had on the table when I was growing up was sliced cucumbers soaked in white vinegar. I loved it, and still do, although now I usually add a splash of cider vinegar and a pinch each of salt, sugar and cayenne.

At the beach house my mother rented for the family, my aunt (her sister) asked me to make it to have with dinner. It's an old family recipe!
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:10 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Have you ever tried it? One of the things we almost always had on the table when I was growing up was sliced cucumbers soaked in white vinegar. I loved it, and still do, although now I usually add a splash of cider vinegar and a pinch each of salt, sugar and cayenne.

At the beach house my mother rented for the family, my aunt (her sister) asked me to make it to have with dinner. It's an old family recipe!
A couple of times. My mother used it for the pickled beets with onions. But I do remember she would cut the vinegar with a bit of water. Now I can see having your mother's family recipe. The extreme sharpness if the white vinegar is cut with the addition of other items.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:42 AM   #25
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Craig. I would love each recipe.



Then why use anything? You could use malt vinegar which I love on fried fish.
I find the more you add the better it gets.

Finely chopped onion.
Parsley.
Old Bay.
Hot sauce.
Lemon or lime juice.
Salt and pepper.
Mustard.
Relish.
Chopped pickles.
ect...................... You name it.

Many things would work well. I use what I have on hand and in many instances I don't make it because I don't have enough ingredients to make a decent tartar sauce.
Roasted garlic tartar sauce

+/- 1/2 cup roasted garlic cloves (about 2 medium heads)
1-1/2 cups mayo
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
1 tablespoon fine diced onion
1 tablespoon fine diced red bell
1 tablespoon fine diced green bell
1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
2 tablespoons white wine
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper

Cut off top of heads and roast garlic with a drizzle of olive oil until soft and tender. Completely cool, squeeze garlic out, mash until smooth and place in a bowl. Add remainder of ingredients, mix until well blended and refrigerate for at least an hour to meld flavors.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:18 PM   #26
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Chief's Tartar Sauce:

Mayo (sometimes homemade, sometimes Helman's)
Little bit of Garlic powder
Minced onion (optional)
Paprika
Sweet pickle Relish
Dill weed
Tarragon
Smallest bit of tomato puree for color

Tartar Sauce #2
Salad Dressing (Miracle Whip)
Prepared horseradish
Bit of Wasabi powder
Lemon Juice

Other sauces are great with fish as well. Peruse the mother sauce daughters, such as Sauce Bercy, or Sauce Poulette.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:58 AM   #27
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calosso, Piemonte
Posts: 311
Tartar Sauce

Having seen all the versions of tartar sauce on this thread, I got curious to find out how the French make it - it is, after all, a French sauce!

This is what I found:

We're supposed to make our own mayo, olive oil, mustard, hard boiled egg yolk 1, and a tsp of mustard, not forgetting the salt.

The ingredients that go into the mayonnaise are:

pickled gherkins, capers, 1/2 a shallot all diced, chopped parsley, same of fresh tarragon, and same again of chives. salt and pepper. That's what the French consider tartar sauce should have in it. If you chop up the cooked egg white and add that, it is no longer 'Sauce Tartare', but transmogrifies into 'Sauce Gibriche'.

Di reston
__________________
di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:05 AM   #28
Head Chef
 
medtran49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Have you ever tried it? One of the things we almost always had on the table when I was growing up was sliced cucumbers soaked in white vinegar. I loved it, and still do, although now I usually add a splash of cider vinegar and a pinch each of salt, sugar and cayenne.

At the beach house my mother rented for the family, my aunt (her sister) asked me to make it to have with dinner. It's an old family recipe!
My mother made that, w/o the cayenne though. We do still make it occasionally and even an Asian version with fish sauce and rice wine.

I remember going to Arthur Treacher's when I was a kid (are there any still around?). My mother would douse her fish with malt vinegar. I always sat across the table from her to get as far away from the smell as possible.

Craig will find ways to use that roasted garlic tartar sauce. I'm not much for tartar sauce at all but I do like that one. It's from one of the Walt Disney World cookbooks, a really old one. I think it was served with blackened grouper in one of the resort hotel restaurants.

******Oh, looking at the recipe just reminded me, be judicious with the white wine as depending on how thick your mayo is it can make it kind of runny. *********

and Addie can leave it out altogether or add some water or chicken broth if it does need some thinning.
__________________
medtran49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:28 AM   #29
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I guess you don't really want to taste the fish...
Naturally I would not use ALL the ingredients at once. Or maybe I would. My point was all these things and more are suitable for making a tasty tartar sauce.
I also said I like malt vinegar on fried fish. I think malt vinegar is quite easy on the taste buds and it could not over power the fish.
All these things are a preference. My opinion if you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Roasted garlic tartar sauce

+/- 1/2 cup roasted garlic cloves (about 2 medium heads)
1-1/2 cups mayo
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
1 tablespoon fine diced onion
1 tablespoon fine diced red bell
1 tablespoon fine diced green bell
1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
2 tablespoons white wine
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper

Cut off top of heads and roast garlic with a drizzle of olive oil until soft and tender. Completely cool, squeeze garlic out, mash until smooth and place in a bowl. Add remainder of ingredients, mix until well blended and refrigerate for at least an hour to meld flavors.
Thanks Craig. How about the Remoulade sauce? I want to paste that into my recipe file too. TIA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Chief's Tartar Sauce:

Mayo (sometimes homemade, sometimes Helman's)
Little bit of Garlic powder
Minced onion (optional)
Paprika
Sweet pickle Relish
Dill weed
Tarragon
Smallest bit of tomato puree for color

Tartar Sauce #2
Salad Dressing (Miracle Whip)
Prepared horseradish
Bit of Wasabi powder
Lemon Juice

Other sauces are great with fish as well. Peruse the mother sauce daughters, such as Sauce Bercy, or Sauce Poulette.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Thanks Chief!
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:32 AM   #30
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calosso, Piemonte
Posts: 311
Tartar sauce

I got curious to find out what the original French recipe for tartar sauce was, so, having the advantage of speaking fluent French, I visited a few French cookery sites, and they all said the same thing, namely:

mayonnaise made with olive oil incorporated into hard boiled egg yolks and mustard, seasoned with salt and pepper; Then mix in carefully diced
pickled gherkins, capers, and chopped parsley, tarragon and chives. That's the tartar sauce they do in France. If you add in the chopped cooked whites of the egg, then it turns miraculously into sauce gibriche!

I thought this might be of interest.

di reston

enough is never as good as a feast. Oscar Wilde
__________________

__________________
di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sauce

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.