The Chief's 30 Minute Salsa (Hot)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
This salsa came together in 30 minutes and it's a clear winner. But before you venture into my realm of hot, be forewarned. If you're not used to extremes, this stuff can make you cry. To me, and those who have braved it from last Sunday's taco dinner, it's just plain tasty stuff. In fact 3 out of the 5 who ate it stated that it's the best they've eaten, ever, and it's so easy to make. Here's how you do it.

Ingredients:
4 dried buk jalokia peppers (Ghost Peppers)
4 dried guajillo peppers
6 dried cayenne peppers
1/4 cup diced green peppers (very rough, chunky cut)
1 medium sized yellow onion, roughly diced
3 tbs. freshly minced cilantro
19 oz, can whole tomatoes, roughly cubed.
2 cloves garlic, finely minced

Everything needs to be chunky. Place the dried peppers into your blender and turn into powder. Place all ingredients into a pot and cook over medium heat until the onion and green peppers are half cooked, but with a bit of crunch left.

The amazing flavor comes from the ghost peppers and cilantro. There is no vinegar to hide the other great flavors. If you can stand the heat, you will enjoy this salsa.

Hint: It clears the sinuses when you've got a cold. Don't sneeze with this in your gullet or mouth. It really shouldn't go up your nose. It would be painful. And don't let it go down the wrong hole. This also would lead to distress.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited by a moderator:
Chief, I'm going to give that a try, but the ghost pepper I believe is Bhut Jolokia.

Teh visitors who ate it, as well as three people from the office, once they started, acknowledged that it was hot, with one person sweating and in pain. But none of them seemed to be able to stop. It has such great flavor. In any case, I have a pint of it reserved for me. It's not so hot to me as I've grown somewhat used to its bite.

I'm going to have to look up the name of one of the peppers, the ones I called guajilla peppers, as I took that from memory. I'll give the accurate name when I get home. Also, my spelling was off on the ghost pepper so thanks for the correction.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, just change the last "a" to "o" and your good to go!;) Those darn languages that have gender specific changes to the same words!:ROFLMAO:

Chief, where exactly do you find these 19 oz. cans of whole tomatoes? :ermm:

I've only seen tomatoes in 10 oz, 14.5 oz, and 28 oz cans. Well, and those monstrous size cans you get at Sam's Club and Costco.

My bad. When I posted the recipe, I was at work, and was trying to rely on a less than perfect memory. The can is a 28 oz, can of whole tomatoes. The one pepper isn't guajilla, but rather dried Japones (big bag that I purchased at WallMart).

Sorry about the misinformation. All is corrected now though. Enjoy.

Seeeeeya;Chief Longwind of the North

My bad. When I posted the recipe, I was at work, and was trying to rely on a less than perfect memory. The can is a 28 oz, can of whole tomatoes. The one pepper isn't guajilla, but rather dried Japones (big bag that I purchased at WallMart).

Sorry about the misinformation. All is corrected now though. Enjoy.

Seeeeeya;Chief Longwind of the North

Big difference in heat level too!;)

Back
Top Bottom