"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 05-01-2008, 09:25 AM   #1
Executive Chef

TNT Tomato Jam

This recipe can be varied to suit your own taste by varying the amount of sugar, vinegar and chilli, or by adding extra herbs/spices.

1 can (400g) diced tomatoes
1 cup red wine vinegar
1 cup brown sugar
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 tspn chilli paste (or equivalent)
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 T olive oil
salt and pepper
1 bay leaf (dried)
1 clove

Place all ingredients in a cold saucepan. Mix well and then bring to the boil with the lid on. Remove lid when boiling and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for about 35 to 45 minutes. The mixture should have reduced to about half and be of jam consistency - thick and glossy. A few minutes prior to the end of the cooking, check for taste, esp vinegar/sugar ratio. The chilli flavour should provide an after-heat but should be very mild and not a flavour per se. This is not a chilli tomato jam.

Remove bay leaf and (if you can find it) the clove before bottling. Refrigerate. This recipe makes two small jars, about 400g worth.

The last time I made this, I used white wine vinegar instead of the red, with only minimal flavour variations. Thinking of trying apple cider vinegar next time.

(NB: In Australia, a cup= 250mL, a teaspoon = 5mL, and a Tablespoon = 20mL)

Old 05-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #2
Hospitality Queen

Bilby, this sounds really tasty - is this one that you need to do the jars in a water bath or is it a jam you keep in the freezer? Or is it one to just keep in the fridge for a bit?
Thanks!

Old 05-02-2008, 09:27 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I just use a normal jar that I have in the cupboard for openned cans etc. I don't "bottle" it per se. It only makes two small jars and I gave one away, and ploughed through my one, the first time I made it. I anticipate it only needing to last a short time - a couple of weeks in the fridge say. If you wanted to keep it longer, than I would do the warm sterilised jar treatment. I got the recipe from an amalgamation of written recipes after having seen something similar on tv but not having a pen/paper at the time. None mentioned freezing it though.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:30 AM   #4
Head Chef

It does not appear to be a proper "canning" recipe, but there are some if you Google search with different ingredients.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:31 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Well it wouldn't be a "canning" recipe as it is a "jam" recipe which is a different process altogether. But you can still store jam for quite some time with the correct bottling techniques.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:51 AM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
Well it wouldn't be a "canning" recipe as it is a "jam" recipe which is a different process altogether.
I have absolutely no idea what you mean by that statement since Jams & Jellies are "canned" to preserve them from spoilage and bacteria growth when stored.
Quote:
But you can still store jam for quite some time with the correct bottling techniques.
Correct....in the refrigerator, as the author previously stated.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:57 AM   #7
Executive Chef

You can store it in the fridge with or without correct bottling techniques being used but if you use the correct techniques it can be stored in a cool dry place quite well for quite some time. No refrigeration required until the jar is opened.

As to the terminology, "canning" here implies a different process. So sorry if I misunderstood you.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:15 PM   #8
Sous Chef

What do you do with "tomato jam"? sounds good and I will have alot of tomatoes soon,

But doesn't sound like something to spread on toast?

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:51 PM   #9
Head Chef

Definitely something to spread on toast and a lot of other things too. Make some, taste it and I think all your questions will be answered. :)
Old 05-07-2008, 09:31 AM   #10
Executive Chef

It isn't something that I would choose to spread on toast on its own personally. But is a great accompaniment to sausages, cheese, eggs, piece of steak esp in a steak sandwich, on a meat pie, piece of quiche. Use it as a relish, which in truth is what it really probably is - I just stuck with the name that I originally saw on the first recipe. Good with cold chicken too!

Tags
None