TNT Tomato Jam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bilby

Executive Chef
This recipe can be varied to suit your own taste by varying the amount of sugar, vinegar and chilli, or by adding extra herbs/spices.

1 can (400g) diced tomatoes
1 cup red wine vinegar
1 cup brown sugar
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 tspn chilli paste (or equivalent)
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 T olive oil
salt and pepper
1 bay leaf (dried)
1 clove

Place all ingredients in a cold saucepan. Mix well and then bring to the boil with the lid on. Remove lid when boiling and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for about 35 to 45 minutes. The mixture should have reduced to about half and be of jam consistency - thick and glossy. A few minutes prior to the end of the cooking, check for taste, esp vinegar/sugar ratio. The chilli flavour should provide an after-heat but should be very mild and not a flavour per se. This is not a chilli tomato jam.

Remove bay leaf and (if you can find it) the clove before bottling. Refrigerate. This recipe makes two small jars, about 400g worth.

The last time I made this, I used white wine vinegar instead of the red, with only minimal flavour variations. Thinking of trying apple cider vinegar next time.

(NB: In Australia, a cup= 250mL, a teaspoon = 5mL, and a Tablespoon = 20mL)

Bilby, this sounds really tasty - is this one that you need to do the jars in a water bath or is it a jam you keep in the freezer? Or is it one to just keep in the fridge for a bit?
Thanks!

I just use a normal jar that I have in the cupboard for openned cans etc. I don't "bottle" it per se. It only makes two small jars and I gave one away, and ploughed through my one, the first time I made it. I anticipate it only needing to last a short time - a couple of weeks in the fridge say. If you wanted to keep it longer, than I would do the warm sterilised jar treatment. I got the recipe from an amalgamation of written recipes after having seen something similar on tv but not having a pen/paper at the time. None mentioned freezing it though.

It does not appear to be a proper "canning" recipe, but there are some if you Google search with different ingredients.

Well it wouldn't be a "canning" recipe as it is a "jam" recipe which is a different process altogether. But you can still store jam for quite some time with the correct bottling techniques.

Well it wouldn't be a "canning" recipe as it is a "jam" recipe which is a different process altogether.
I have absolutely no idea what you mean by that statement since Jams & Jellies are "canned" to preserve them from spoilage and bacteria growth when stored.
But you can still store jam for quite some time with the correct bottling techniques.
Correct....in the refrigerator, as the author previously stated.

You can store it in the fridge with or without correct bottling techniques being used but if you use the correct techniques it can be stored in a cool dry place quite well for quite some time. No refrigeration required until the jar is opened.

As to the terminology, "canning" here implies a different process. So sorry if I misunderstood you.

What do you do with "tomato jam"? sounds good and I will have alot of tomatoes soon,

But doesn't sound like something to spread on toast?

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

Definitely something to spread on toast and a lot of other things too. Make some, taste it and I think all your questions will be answered. :)

It isn't something that I would choose to spread on toast on its own personally. But is a great accompaniment to sausages, cheese, eggs, piece of steak esp in a steak sandwich, on a meat pie, piece of quiche. Use it as a relish, which in truth is what it really probably is - I just stuck with the name that I originally saw on the first recipe. Good with cold chicken too!

I just dunked my cold beef chipolatas into the jam for brekky this morning and it went very nicely!
Thanks Bilby,
I am making this soon..I love it and when I mixed it with a little mascarpone, my kids loved it..They put away the whole darn jar in one sitting..:LOL:
kades

I can understand that!! I am thinking of interrupting the cooking process one time and using it as a sauce instead. The vinegar certainly gets the mouth juices flowing!

Back
Top Bottom