Uses for smoked salt and pepper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have never heard of smoked pepper, but smoked salt can be used anywhere you would want a smoky salty flavor. Roasts, meats, fishes, soups, stews, pasta, let your imagination run wild.

sprinkle on sauteed veg or fish...quite nice. For vegetarians a useful tool for adding smokey flavor in place of bacon.

I worked at a restaurant where the chef refused to put S&P on the tables (insulting), and instead had a salt & pepper "reserve" that he offered for special requests. The sea salt was smoked with apple and cherry wood. It was so strong and distinct that it couldn't possibly compliment any random dish.

Smoked salt is so distinctive that anything you use it on will surely "feature" the taste of the salt. I would use it on roasted pork (as garnish post-cooking), or maybe on a white fish. But not too delicate a whitefish... maybe a sea bass. Mainly, I would consider simply preparing whatever you choose, so that the flavors don't compete.

One more thought, maybe it would be nice in combination with flavors that normally work well with bacon. Like duck, or scallops, baked apples, brussels sprouts... You can simulate the flavor-effect without all the fat!

[edit] Apologies to Robo for stealing the Bacon idea.. I just noticed it after reviewing the thread a second time...you must have planted in my brain!! [/edit]

Last edited:
I worked at a restaurant where the chef refused to put S&P on the tables (insulting), and instead had a salt & pepper "reserve" that he offered for special requests. The sea salt was smoked with apple and cherry wood. It was so strong and distinct that it couldn't possibly compliment any random dish.

Wow, that's mean!

Lee

Smoked salt is strictly a finishing salt so use that way - never heard of smoked pepper - must do a search!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom