Using dried mustard for regular....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
I want to make honey-mustard chicken.... I'm out of mustard.
I usually just take a 1/2 cup each of honey and a mix of regular and dijon mustard, mix them and bake the chicken in it.
I'm out of mustard, I have powder. Not a fan of running to the store 6 miles away for 1 thing.
Can I make my own mustard somehow? :ermm:

I found a post from Feb that was "Best Mustard Ever" but I don't have a few of those things. Like pickles or turmeric.

Yes, you can make prepared mustard from the powder. Simply mix equal amounts of dry mustard and water (according to my Coleman's dry mustard tin).

use more water and it'll be a little less strong and a little more runny... :( not a good thing!

It's pretty spicy but I think I'll just drizzle extra honey on the kids chicken, scrape off some of the sauce, and they'll never notice.
;)

We used to add some malt vinegar to the powder rather than water. Maybe a bit of water if it was getting kinda strong ... but then dad like strong, thick mustard. We had this tiny little condiment spoon and bowl to make the mustard in. They were so cute that whenever we had roast beef, I always wanted to make the mustard for dad. I, however, refused to taste it to see if I had the ratio right cos I thought it tasted foul! No idea if I could stomach it now as an adult.

Back
Top Bottom