Vegan aioli?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I bought some aioli. It's delicious. The ingredients are listed as:

• super fine canola oil
  • fresh garlic
  • fresh parsley
  • citrus juice
  • salt

Most aioli has egg yolks or mayonnaise. I have Googled and can't find a recipe. When I Googled "vegan aioli" I got lots of recipes that included tofu. I am not allowed to eat soy.

Anyone have a recipe for this? I assume the garlic is mashed in a mortar and pestle, but what then?

? Aioli or Ali Oli ?

@ Tax Lady,

Ali oli is an oliveoil and garlic mixture that is whisked into a traditional Spanish Mayonnaise.

Ai Oli in Spanish is questionable, as Ai is not a Spanish word.

Mayonnaise: In Spain, the difference between an ali oli and a mayonnaise is: Mayonnaise has egg yolks and Ali Oli is only made of garlic and oliveoil.

Could you recheck ?

Thanks,
Margi

Ali Oli

In mortar and pestle, smash several cloves of garlic.

In a metal bowl ( traditionally used in Spain; is Metal ): put the smashed garlic and slowly feed some olive oil in the metal bowl and whisk as quickly as u can. When emulsified and turned white, stop ... refrigerate or use it immediately.

Margi.

@ Tax Lady,

Ali oli is an oliveoil and garlic mixture that is whisked into a traditional Spanish Mayonnaise.

Ai Oli in Spanish is questionable, as Ai is not a Spanish word.

Mayonnaise: In Spain, the difference between an ali oli and a mayonnaise is: Mayonnaise has egg yolks and Ali Oli is only made of garlic and oliveoil.

Could you recheck ?

Thanks,
Margi

According Wiktionary, "The name aioli (alhòli) comes from Provençal alh 'garlic' (< Latin allium) + òli 'oil' (< Latin oleum)."

And according to Merriam Webster, "Origin of AIOLI Occitan, from ai garlic + oli oil First Known Use: circa 1900"

In mortar and pestle, smash several cloves of garlic.

In a metal bowl ( traditionally used in Spain; is Metal ): put the smashed garlic and slowly feed some olive oil in the metal bowl and whisk as quickly as u can. When emulsified and turned white, stop ... refrigerate or use it immediately.

Margi.

That doesn't sound too hard. Thank you. I'll give that a try.

Spanish Ali Oli

Extra virgin high quality olive oil
4 cloves of garlic ( to pound in Mortar with Pestle )
1 metal bowl

1) peel the garlic and smash with pestle in mortar
2) put garlic in metal bowl
3) with a whisk or food processor or blender: mix the olive oil extremely slowly with the garlic
4) the key is: when emulsifying into a white thick mayonnaise looking paste, stop adding olive oil
5) mix and refrigerate or use it

*** if you add egg yolks, you are making Spanish Mayonnaise which has a distinct taste

M.C.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom