Warm Mango Salsa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmarchibald

Senior Cook
Highly highly highly recommend this one.....it's a favorite in our house because fresh mango and fresh pineapple are so easy to get here. They'll be in season in a couple months, splurge and pick up some fresh mango/pineapple because it totally makes this dish worth it.

Mine is a slight variation of this original recipe:

Warm Mango Salsa Recipe - Allrecipes.com

My version:

Warm Mango Salsa

Ingredients

* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 small onion, chopped
* 3-4 fresh medium-hot chili peppers (I use a Filipino native chili called silipanigang)
* 1 medium bulb of garlic, minced
* 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
* 1 mango - peeled and diced
* 1/2 of a small fresh pineapple, diced
* 1/4 cup lemon juice
* 2 tablespoons butter

Directions

1. Heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, and cook and stir the onion and pepper until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and coriander; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
2. Push the onion and pepper mixture to the edges of the pan, and add the mango and pineapple to the center of the pan. Cook, without stirring, until the fruit begins to caramelize, about 5 minutes. Pour the lemon juice into the pan, and bring to a boil, stirring and scraping the browned bits of food off of the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat; stir in the butter, and stir to combine all ingredients evenly. Serve warm.

190720_1769844420164_1660832238_1819381_6130092_n.jpg

Mangoes are tricky for me to cut. I finally got the idea to cut them this way from a resort in Boracay. To do this you have to cut each side off the large flat pit in the center. Take the half remaining in the skin, run the tip of the knife lengthwise in strips, then cross-ways to create the "chunks." Push the back of the skin through so the chunks arc out, then slice along the base to separate the chunks from the skin.

189845_1769847220234_1660832238_1819392_7585448_n.jpg

This salsa is great on baked or grilled fish, but is also an excellent topper for chicken, pork chops and rice.

183821_1769846620219_1660832238_1819390_2409720_n.jpg

Served here with Baked Cream Dory Fish brushed with olive oil and seasoned with herbs & spices, "Forbidden" black rice, sizzling sweet corn & carrots and steamed seasoned broccoli.

Last edited:
mango

I love the native chili. I make a yellowtail snapper with a banana crust and a mango/roasted red pepper salsa. Its very tasty. Your recipe looks great!

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds really good and I have fresh mangoes and pineapple around whenever I can get them. Will make this soon. DH will love it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom