What is German mustard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
Whiskadoodle's comment in today's dinner thread reminded me of this question. I remember some years ago, we had a member from Germany - I think her name was Cara? Anyway, one day, someone mentioned they were having German mustard with dinner and she asked what that was. No one answered :LOL:

I have since learned that different parts of Germany have different traditional mustards, and sometimes more than one. So I'm wondering - what do you consider to be "German" mustard?

Never gave it a thought.

Me neither.

I grew up in a German family, and we always had two mustards in the fridge: Woeber, which was a brown spicy mustard that my dad and I liked, and French's yellow, which was the only one my younger brother would eat. My mom didn't like mustard.

Woeber is made in the US, although I think the company itself has some German roots. I'm not 100% sure, though.

There are regional mustards in this country which are probably based on mustards that originated from different countries. Although stores around here carry Inglehoffer mustards, I can't find the "Sweet Hot" any more.:mad:

A quick Google search reaps many sources

Prepared German mustard is made with different varieties of ground mustard seeds (mostly Sinapis hirta and Brassica nigra) mixed with vinegar, oil, herbs and/or sweeteners. It ranges from smooth to coarse-ground, and from pale yellow to brown in color.

https://www.thespruce.com/german-mustard-senf-oder-mostrich-1446951
Thanks, I saw that. My question was more about what people here think of when they think of German mustard. I was wondering if we had different ideas about what it is.

My dad's family is German and he always liked a spicy brown mustard with German sausages.

I like Ingelhoffer stone ground mustard. I also like Dusseldorf, it's a sweet hot mustard and good on everything.

I like a more spicy mustard. How I discovered German mustard was when it was served at a friend's back yard Bbq. That was a few years ago, and I think I finished my 3rd bottle sometime this summer. It isn't something I use often. I know one bottle I've had was Dusseldorf. Another one I've had is Gulden's spicy brown. Don't know if it's a German mustard, but the flavor is similar. My reference to German mustard, and when I think about what I look for is somewhat spicy yet different from Dijon.

After reading about German mustards after GG asked the question yesterday, I see there are many styles/ regions of mustard, from sweetish to spicy. I am lucky/glad I stumbled across the spicier end of the spectrum.

I keep Gulden's spicy brown mustard, Dijon or a variety of and French's yellow..

I have never thought of referring to a mustard as German Mustard..

Ross

I ate at a few sausage carts while in Germany many years ago...When I was in Bavaria the mustard was thicker and darker, with spices added..while in the north in Hamburg I remember it being very light, thin and sweet

I keep Gulden's spicy brown mustard, Dijon or a variety of and French's yellow..

I have never thought of referring to a mustard as German Mustard..

Ross
You said you're a California native, right? Not many German immigrants went to California ;) Michigan, where I grew up, and other Midwestern states, like Minnesota and Wisconsin, had a lot of German immigrants and they brought their food traditions with them.

You said you're a California native, right? Not many German immigrants went to California ;) Michigan, where I grew up, and other Midwestern states, like Minnesota and Wisconsin, had a lot of German immigrants and they brought their food traditions with them.

Exactly... My area of Cali, while very diverse in ethnicity, didn't seem to have many German immigrants that I knew of. Lots of Italian and Hispanic food traditions when I grew up.. :)

When I married a girl whose family migrated from Oklahoma in the 30's, I was fed food I'd never had.. That was a fun experience and, to this day, Okie food is my favorite.. ;)

Ross

Ross

The Hill Country area from Northwest Houston to all around San Antonio and Austin was mostly settled by Germans. It is often said that these German immigrants originated what we call Texas Style BBQ today.

As many times as I have been there, I've never really looked at the mustards. It seems like brown mustards and stone ground mustards are popular at German restaurants around here. I personally like stone ground mustards such as the one from Inglehoffer.

CD

Exactly... My area of Cali, while very diverse in ethnicity, didn't seem to have many German immigrants that I knew of. Lots of Italian and Hispanic food traditions when I grew up.. :)

When I married a girl whose family migrated from Oklahoma in the 30's, I was fed food I'd never had.. That was a fun experience and, to this day, Okie food is my favorite.. ;)

Ross

Ross

I married a girl from rural Oklahoma. The food was good, but every meal had more than a day's worth of calories and fat. Oklahoma settlers came from all over Europe for the land rush. Germans were just one of many. I'm not sure what I would call the food.

CD

My Dad was second generation German and he was raised in a German community in Minnesota. I was born there but my parents brought me to California as an infant. I don't remember him ever calling the brown mustard we used as German. I do know it was never that nasty yellow stuff I still hate to this day.

I married a girl from rural Oklahoma. The food was good, but every meal had more than a day's worth of calories and fat. Oklahoma settlers came from all over Europe for the land rush. Germans were just one of many. I'm not sure what I would call the food.

CD

Yup... Its amazing how my eating habits have changed.. I will still sit down and enjoy my various gravy heavy favorites but, much less often and way smaller portions.. :ermm:

I will have to be careful when I return to Missouri.. :wacko:

Ross

My Dad was second generation German and he was raised in a German community in Minnesota. I was born there but my parents brought me to California as an infant. I don't remember him ever calling the brown mustard we used as German. I do know it was never that nasty yellow stuff I still hate to this day.

Immigrant German food is probably like Immigrant Italian food in respect to adaptations. Italian immigrants, like my great grandparents, brought their recipes here, but adapted them for the ingredients widely available here.

As for German immigrants to Texas, they are commonly believed to have created Chicken Fried Steak, a Texas staple that is a lot like Wiener Schnitzel.

CD

I always have Inglehoffer stone ground :yum:, some kind of Dijon, and the yellow. My grandkids have to have the French's yellow when we have a patio grill with all kinds of foods, and hot dogs are involved. :rolleyes::LOL:

Last edited:
The Hill Country area from Northwest Houston to all around San Antonio and Austin was mostly settled by Germans. It is often said that these German immigrants originated what we call Texas Style BBQ today.

And chicken-fried steak is basically a variation of wiener schnitzel ;) My sister and BIL lived in Austin for a year several years ago and I visited them for a long weekend. I was surprised to learn how many Germans settled in Texas. I hadn't heard about it before.

If anyone's interested in more on this, check this out: https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/png02

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom