White Balsamic Vinegar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JillBurgh

Sous Chef
At a restaurant this week, the chef was featuring his White Balsamic Vinaigrette. Our server said, "Chef says all balsamic vinegar is white before they color it." Mom noticed that I didn't nod in agreement as she expects me to when when people share "food facts." When the server left Mom said "I never knew that" and I (suspiciously) said I didn't either.

So... I had to google it...

FALSE! All I could find is that white balsamic vinegar is relatively new to the market and some co. has the patent to making it. It is included in "Artisanal Vinegar" categories. Does anyone know any more background?

I'd start eating at a different restaurant if I were you.

Real balsamic vinegar is cooked down and aged in wooden barrels and is naturally dark in color.

Cheap inauthentic "balsamic" vinegar is wine vinegar with coloring added.

"White balsamic" is white wine vinegar with some grape must and flavoring added.

I'd start eating at a different restaurant if I were you.

Real balsamic vinegar is cooked down and aged in wooden barrels and is naturally dark in color.

Cheap inauthentic "balsamic" vinegar is wine vinegar with coloring added.

"White balsamic" is white wine vinegar with some grape must and flavoring added.
Simply put and to the point! It's my parents' fave restaurant.. a little hole-in-the-wall pub.. they have their own table (but are usually the only ones there). The chef is VERY nice and has natural ability in the kitchen, but, evidently, just not a lot of formal training (that sounded aloof, but you know what I mean). Food's good, not fancy!

At a restaurant this week, the chef was featuring his White Balsamic Vinaigrette. Our server said, "Chef says all balsamic vinegar is white before they color it." Mom noticed that I didn't nod in agreement as she expects me to when when people share "food facts." When the server left Mom said "I never knew that" and I (suspiciously) said I didn't either.

So... I had to google it...

FALSE! All I could find is that white balsamic vinegar is relatively new to the market and some co. has the patent to making it. It is included in "Artisanal Vinegar" categories. Does anyone know any more background?

Hi Jillburgh,
I first bought this 5/6 years ago in Scotland. "Fattorie Giacobazzi - White Balsamic - Condiment - Condimento Balsamico Bianco - Produced and bottled in Modena ITALY"

The label on the bottle identifies that it is made from "white grape must with white vinegar to obtain a tasty sweet and sour dressing" and has an acidity of 5.7% and was produced in Nonantola, Modena, Italy.

Hope this helps,
Archiduc

..."Fattorie Giacobazzi - White Balsamic - Condiment - Condimento Balsamico Bianco - Produced and bottled in Modena ITALY" ...

Interesting that they don't call their product white balsamic vinegar, rather it's a condimento.

Hi Jillburgh,
I first bought this 5/6 years ago in Scotland. "Fattorie Giacobazzi - White Balsamic - Condiment - Condimento Balsamico Bianco - Produced and bottled in Modena ITALY"

The label on the bottle identifies that it is made from "white grape must with white vinegar to obtain a tasty sweet and sour dressing" and has an acidity of 5.7% and was produced in Nonantola, Modena, Italy.

Hope this helps,
Archiduc

That does help. The vinaigrette we had was sweet-and-sour-like now that you mention it.

Andy- I love Condimentos.. the Freshmaker!, right? It's fun to make diet soda blow up with them too..:ROFLMAO:;)

I still like it. Cucumbers are great marinated in it.

The "chef" is assuming a connection between making wine and making vinegar i.e., all juice when making wine IS white.

I've been reading about the restaurants in Arizona, for when we go on vacation, trying to find some that I want to go to... and I've been reading their menus. On one, I don't remember which menu, probably in Jerome or Sedona AZ, had a white balsamic reduction. When I saw that, I thought, my balsamic vinegar is very dark, I've never seen a white balsamic vinegar. This must be what they meant. I searched the web for white balsamic reduction recipe, but didn't come across one. ~Bliss
Thanks for the information.

Stuffed Mushroom
Fig & bleu cheese stuffed Portobello mushroom, dressed micro greens
in a white balsamic reduction $7

I've been reading about the restaurants in Arizona, for when we go on vacation, trying to find some that I want to go to... and I've been reading their menus. On one, I don't remember which menu, probably in Jerome or Sedona AZ, had a white balsamic reduction. When I saw that, I thought, my balsamic vinegar is very dark, I've never seen a white balsamic vinegar. This must be what they meant. I searched the web for white balsamic reduction recipe, but didn't come across one. ~Bliss

Stuffed Mushroom
I found White Balsamic in Walmart yesterday. I was surprised to see it especially in Walmart where hard to find items are usually impossible. Usually we have to go to Harris Teeter for stuff like that. It was $4 at Walmart. I can only imagine how much it would cost at Harris Teeter.

Stuffed Mushroom

Just put your white balsamic in a small pot and place on medium heat. Let reduce for about 15 minutes or so. You just have to keep checking it to see how thick it is. Don't let it thicken too much on the stove as it will continue to thicken once you take it off. I forgot about mine one time and it CAN reduce to the point where it will stick to your teeth! :ermm: You can do the same with balsamic vinegar and it makes it sweeter.

White Balsamic vinegar comes from green grapes and red Balsamic vinegar comes from purple grapes.

White Balsamic vinegar comes from green grapes and red Balsamic vinegar comes from purple grapes.

Not true - even purple grapes produce a white juice. ALL grapes produce a white juice. The color comes from how long the juice stays with the skin. The skin of the grape is what produces the color. For example...a rosé wine is just bled off of the barrels (or vats) of wine. Garnache is a red wine, but, you can make a rosé wine by bleeding off before it turns red.

But, back to vinegar. The trebbiano grape is the variety used most often and it is a white grape. The color of a balsamic vinegar comes from boiling down the juice, caramelizing. If I recall, the juice (once boiled down into a syrup) is put into a barrel, as it reduces through evaporation it gets put into smaller and smaller barrels over time and the barrels can be different woods, giving the vinegar layers of character.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom