Why does pesto include nuts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love pesto and have collected a bunch of recipes for different kinds.

My question is: why does pesto always include nuts of some kind? Just another flavor twist? Something to do with emulsification?

Inquiring minds plus the idly curious want to know!

TIA

There is no easy answer. In France, the same basic sauce is called Pistou, and there are no nuts in it. Ever.

A bit off, but not quite -

If you have extra pesto, and extra sun dried tomato pesto, layer them in an 8" cheesecake pan (lined with saran wrap), this way: cream cheese, basil pesto, cream cheese, sun-dried, cream cheese, basil pesto, cream cheese, sun-dried, cream cheese.
Chill in the frige a couple of hours till set, then unmold and serve with good crackers. It's a gorgeous presentation, and it tastes great too. I believe it's called an Italian Flag Torte. (but I call it using up leftovers!)

OMG....this could actually cause me to make pesto!! I hope you'll put this in with the recipes jkath!! It would be a shame to loose it. With those colors,
I can just see this on the Christmas appetizer table.

I plant @16-20 basil plants every year to make piles of pesto. This year as I was harvesting my basil I couldn't buy a pine nut to save my life. None to be found in my area! I almost tried pistachios but used slivered almonds instead since I had them on hand, and while I prefer my pesto with pine nuts, the toasted almonds made a tasty substitute.

I plant @16-20 basil plants every year to make piles of pesto. This year as I was harvesting my basil I couldn't buy a pine nut to save my life. None to be found in my area! I almost tried pistachios but used slivered almonds instead since I had them on hand, and while I prefer my pesto with pine nuts, the toasted almonds made a tasty substitute.

I have also heard of walnuts being used instead of the pine nuts.

I also started using walnuts instead of pine nuts.
They're cheaper and healthier and the difference
in flavor is not that detectable to matter much.

Walnuts are healthier?
Yes, walnuts have more health benefits than pine nuts. Walnuts are an excellent source of omega-3 essential fatty acids, a special type of protective fat the body cannot manufacture. Walnuts' concentration of omega-3s (a quarter-cup provides 90.8% of the daily value for these essential fats) has many potential health benefits ranging from cardiovascular protection, to the promotion of better cognitive function, to anti-inflammatory benefits helpful in asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, and inflammatory skin diseases such as eczema and psoriasis. In addition, walnuts contain an antioxidant compound called ellagic acid that supports the immune system and appears to have several anticancer properties.
WHFoods: Walnuts

Yes, walnuts have more health benefits than pine nuts. Walnuts are an excellent source of omega-3 essential fatty acids, a special type of protective fat the body cannot manufacture. Walnuts' concentration of omega-3s (a quarter-cup provides 90.8% of the daily value for these essential fats) has many potential health benefits ranging from cardiovascular protection, to the promotion of better cognitive function, to anti-inflammatory benefits helpful in asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, and inflammatory skin diseases such as eczema and psoriasis. In addition, walnuts contain an antioxidant compound called ellagic acid that supports the immune system and appears to have several anticancer properties.
WHFoods: Walnuts

Well, I'm glad they have so much omega 3 fatty acid. I don't eat much fish, so it's good to know I'm getting them. I buy a 1.36 kg (3 lb) at Costco and keep it in the freezer. Doesn't usually last more than 3-4 months. Surprisingly, they don't need to be thawed before chopping.

I googled pine nuts and couldn't find much information that looked reliable. I looked them both up in the USDA software that gives nutrients and they don't list omega 3 fatty acid at all. I have found that software lacking on more than one occasion. I suspect there has been less research on pine nuts.

One of my personal methods of determining what is healthiest is to listen to my body. If I have a craving for a particular food, I figure I need some of the nutrients in that food. Obviously, one has to be careful about cravings for cake, potato chips, etc. ;)

There are a variety of pesto recipes, for example-
Bastianich makes a pesto from garlic, chopped walnuts, ricotta, and parsley and served with a grated Parmigiano topping. Then there's Pesto Genovese which is popular along the north and central Mediterranean coast of Italy which is more likely to contain Grana Padano cheese.

I've found that most old recipes have ingredients that just happened to be there at the time; in other words, nuts, herbs, garlic, cheese were there and people did what they had to in order to make a tasty meal. I, like others mentioned, use pistachios rather than pine nuts.

Around here pine nuts are $25 a pound! Of course, you don't have to buy a pound but even the smallest container is $8.99.

Of course, that will make a lot of pesto that can be frozen for later use.

Around here pine nuts are $25 a pound! Of course, you don't have to buy a pound but even the smallest container is $8.99.

Of course, that will make a lot of pesto that can be frozen for later use.

Trader Joe has a pretty good price on pine nuts. Also, Costco sells it but you have to buy too much for it to be worth it.

Trader Joe has a pretty good price on pine nuts. Also, Costco sells it but you have to buy too much for it to be worth it.

That was my mistake with Costco...I ended up sending about 3/4 to my parents before they went stale. Dad justs roasts them and eats them by the handful.

That was my mistake with Costco...I ended up sending about 3/4 to my parents before they went stale. Dad justs roasts them and eats them by the handful.

Someone said they freeze their walnuts (or was it pine nuts). If that is possible then maybe it can be bought and frozen for later use.

Someone said they freeze their walnuts (or was it pine nuts). If that is possible then maybe it can be bought and frozen for later use.

I freeze almost all nuts. I have, when they were less expensive, bought pine nuts at Costco and they were fine in the freezer. I started putting nuts in the freezer when I had to throw some out that had gone rancid.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom