Worcestershire sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I recently was reading the ingredients on my Lea and Perrins Woc. sc. and was surprised that the third ingredient is high fructose corn syrup. Is there any other brand here or abroad, that does not contain high fructose corn syrup??

I use WS on steak, in burgers & meatloaf. (One meatloaf version - WS, pkg of dry onion/mushroom soup, egg(s), breadcrumbs, more onions, black pepper, & ketchup.) On occasion while roasting chicken & sliced potatoes (w other ingredients, i.e. garlic, black pepper etc.) I keep it in the fridge door (always have) w other condiments (ketchup, mustard, soy sauce, mayo, salad dressing, & breadcrumbs, etc.) - next to my batteries. :ermm:

ETA: Also use WS in ground turkey or chicken (burgers/loaf) to boost the flavor, or add to homemade wonton fillings - pork, chicken, shrimp, crab rangoon, etc -- sometimes along with soy sauce and in stir frys.

Last edited:
It's darn tasty as a sipping juice too. I admit I rarely use it without taking
a shot straight... yum!

Worcestershire Sauce is actually an Indian recipe from the Days when India was occupied by Great Britain. It was a sauce used as a condiment, and a particular British politician loved it. He brought the recipe back to England and asked that it be reproduced by one of his freinds. From there, it was made, and the maker found it to be a particularly nasty concoction. It was left in the, I believe, oak barrel in which it was made, and moved to the cellar. It was forgotton about. Two years later, the barrel was re-discovered and the curious maker lifted the lid and tasted the sauce. It tasted wonderful. The recipe was again found and more was made.

I know that the gist of what I posted is correct from research, but as I haven't taken the time to look up that research, I'm posting from a somewhat less-than-perfect memory. I do know that Lee & Perrins is the original, and in my opinion, best tasting Worcestershire sauce. I love the sauce and use it primarily with meats. It's primary purpose is as a versatile additive to other foods. It is not simply a meat sauce, but rather a seasoning to be used with meats, veggies, and to be used with ohter ingrediants to make sauces, dressings, etc. It is kind of like Maggi, or soy sauce in its uses.

Seeeeeya; Godoweed of the North

it`s absolutely essential in a Bloody mary or even a Virgin mary too, skipping the Worcester is like skipping the Tobasco or tomato juice!

Molasses here too YT. No HFCS in sight. I use worcestershire in LOTS of things. Burgers, on oven roasted potatoes, in onion dip, nuts and bolts, marinades of all types and descriptions. Its got great zip. I go through the Costco sized bottle pretty quickly. Oh, and you can't forget putting a dash in any tomato based drink.

I find it works well to make a quick tartar sauce replacement when mixed with mayo. Good for fish. It is also essential if you make your own "Chex Mix" for the sauce you pour over/mix into ingredients before baking. Also good in burgers.

Keltin, i get a little dipping bowl of ketchup, and add like 1 T Worchestershire and 1 T Malt Vinegar....then i throw in a few dashes of cayenne pepper.

That is the way i use it as a dipping sauce :)

wonderful on finger foods, like fries and chicken strips

cheers

Awesome ideas! I never knew there were so many uses for W sauce. I’d never had thought to put it on tomatoes, potatoes, or veggies. I’m definitely trying this!

I can vouch it's awesome in various uses with potatoes. Also with carrots.

In general it goes good with pots of sauteed vegetables or roasted vegetables.

like onions, carrots, potatoes, etc......

thanks yt and alex, I will keep an eye out for some wor. sauce sans high fructose syrup. The ingredient list on my bottle starts; vinegar, molasses, HFCS, anchovies, water, onions etc..

one of my earliest childhood memories is us kids were setting the dining room table and my sister was putting a jar on the table. It was a recycled dried beef gravy jar that we used for orange juice. Well, this jar was filled with what I thought was coca cola, looked like coke. My sister warned me it was not coke and not to drink it, I would not like it. Of course, as soon as she left the room, I took a big glug. I was not a happy camper. It was wor. sc. I have no memory of why it was on the table, do not remember ever seeing it served again.

Worcestershire sauce is to the western world what soy sauce is to Asia.

It's uses are only limited by your imagination - and your fondness for it.

I use it mainly with beef (roasts, stews, burgers, meatloaf, etc.) and some tomato dishes (stewed tomatoes, tomato and okra gumbo, okra and shrimp gumbo, etc.) - shrimp and crab salads, salmon or mackeral croquetts, added some to ketchup to make a sauce/dip for steaks/french fries (even added it to mayo for dipping fries) - and it definate is a must for any tomato based drinks (Bloody Mary, Virgin Mary, Red Beer, Bloody Bull, Bull Shot, V8-Juice, etc.) - and a few times in some egg dishes.

I hadn't thought about using it for other vegetables (my limited imagination).

It's an ingredient in my meatloaf, and in recipes I have for cocktail sauce and a chicken marinade. I've never used it on its own. I keep in the fridge door, too.

Louise's beans:

Steamed french cut green beans
A gob of good butter
A healthy shake of Worcestershire
Sprinkle with red pepper flakes
Enjoy

Back
Top Bottom