"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 10-13-2007, 08:51 AM   #21
Executive Chef

I recently was reading the ingredients on my Lea and Perrins Woc. sc. and was surprised that the third ingredient is high fructose corn syrup. Is there any other brand here or abroad, that does not contain high fructose corn syrup??

Old 10-13-2007, 09:27 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
in the UK it just says Molasses as the 3`rd ingredient.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 11:34 AM   #23
Head Chef

I use WS on steak, in burgers & meatloaf. (One meatloaf version - WS, pkg of dry onion/mushroom soup, egg(s), breadcrumbs, more onions, black pepper, & ketchup.) On occasion while roasting chicken & sliced potatoes (w other ingredients, i.e. garlic, black pepper etc.) I keep it in the fridge door (always have) w other condiments (ketchup, mustard, soy sauce, mayo, salad dressing, & breadcrumbs, etc.) - next to my batteries.

ETA: Also use WS in ground turkey or chicken (burgers/loaf) to boost the flavor, or add to homemade wonton fillings - pork, chicken, shrimp, crab rangoon, etc -- sometimes along with soy sauce and in stir frys.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:42 AM   #24
Head Chef

It's darn tasty as a sipping juice too. I admit I rarely use it without taking
a shot straight... yum!
Old 10-13-2007, 12:02 PM   #25
Master Chef

Worcestershire Sauce is actually an Indian recipe from the Days when India was occupied by Great Britain. It was a sauce used as a condiment, and a particular British politician loved it. He brought the recipe back to England and asked that it be reproduced by one of his freinds. From there, it was made, and the maker found it to be a particularly nasty concoction. It was left in the, I believe, oak barrel in which it was made, and moved to the cellar. It was forgotton about. Two years later, the barrel was re-discovered and the curious maker lifted the lid and tasted the sauce. It tasted wonderful. The recipe was again found and more was made.

I know that the gist of what I posted is correct from research, but as I haven't taken the time to look up that research, I'm posting from a somewhat less-than-perfect memory. I do know that Lee & Perrins is the original, and in my opinion, best tasting Worcestershire sauce. I love the sauce and use it primarily with meats. It's primary purpose is as a versatile additive to other foods. It is not simply a meat sauce, but rather a seasoning to be used with meats, veggies, and to be used with ohter ingrediants to make sauces, dressings, etc. It is kind of like Maggi, or soy sauce in its uses.

Seeeeeya; Godoweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 12:11 PM   #26
Executive Chef

it`s absolutely essential in a Bloody mary or even a Virgin mary too, skipping the Worcester is like skipping the Tobasco or tomato juice!

Old 10-13-2007, 12:30 PM   #27
Everymom

Molasses here too YT. No HFCS in sight. I use worcestershire in LOTS of things. Burgers, on oven roasted potatoes, in onion dip, nuts and bolts, marinades of all types and descriptions. Its got great zip. I go through the Costco sized bottle pretty quickly. Oh, and you can't forget putting a dash in any tomato based drink.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:35 PM   #28
Senior Cook

I find it works well to make a quick tartar sauce replacement when mixed with mayo. Good for fish. It is also essential if you make your own "Chex Mix" for the sauce you pour over/mix into ingredients before baking. Also good in burgers.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:40 PM   #29
Head Chef

Keltin, i get a little dipping bowl of ketchup, and add like 1 T Worchestershire and 1 T Malt Vinegar....then i throw in a few dashes of cayenne pepper.

That is the way i use it as a dipping sauce :)

wonderful on finger foods, like fries and chicken strips

cheers
Old 10-13-2007, 01:44 PM   #30
Executive Chef

add some Cumin powder, oregano and liquid smoke, count me in too :)

Tags
None