"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 11-17-2006, 11:54 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
As long as it's in the insert.
These roasters do not have any electrical coils exposed--not like some deep fryers that do. It is a metal cabinet with the coils enclosed inside. Then there is an insert that goes into this where you put the food. The question is whether to put water in the metal cabinet unit and then put the insert in.

Old 11-17-2006, 01:02 PM   #12
Executive Chef

No!!!

Unless you are absolutely possitively certain that the water being there won't cause electrical problems such as a short circuit or electrocution.

Incidently, most electrical appliances that cook and "roast" food, such as slow cookers, skillets and muli-cookers have their heating elements embedded inside the cooker's shell.

Ovens, toasters and rotisseries have the elements exposed and they turn a bright orange-red indicating nice dry heat for baking and roasting.

Old 11-17-2006, 01:05 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by etillema
Do you put water under the insert pan when using the roaster? Or do you use it dry? It seems to me that using the water will make the heat transfer faster and more evenly.
Thanks, Ed.
Isn't this supposed to be like a second oven? You wouldn't put water in your oven to roast, so I would skip it in the roaster as well.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:22 PM   #14
Executive Chef

The instruction manuals that came with my George Jr. Rotisserie, Thane Flavor Wave Convection Oven and my Rival BBQ Pit strongly suggest that a little bit of water be placed at the bottom of the pans to prevent the smoking and or burning of any fat that drips from the meat and collects in the pans.

Trust me, you don't want your dinner to go up in smoke - that is unless you are planning to do some major rennovating in your kitchen, as Emeril always says!!
Old 11-17-2006, 01:28 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks, Corey. I stand corrected.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:33 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Corey, this is NOT a rotisserie. It is an appliance like a Nesco roaster oven--you might or might not put water in it. The pans you have in yours would be like putting a cookie sheet under a roasting chicken in my oven--to catch grease and keep it from burning on the bottom of the oven, for example (horrors to that!!). This thing looks like a great big roasting pan with a domed lid. It BAKES (called roasting when done to meat, I guess).

I can't post a picture. This is what I believe is being talked about. If not, then....
http://www.everythingkitchens.com/ne...n-4808-14.html
Old 11-17-2006, 01:39 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I know.

The whole big porcelain-on-steel pan lifts out for easy cleaning. My mom had one for many years. The best thing to do at this point is to read the manual and find out if you can do that.

No problem, Andy. Always glad to try to help you out.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:00 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I have a 18 qt. Aroma Roaster Oven. It says IMPORTANT: NEVER place food or liquid directly into the oven body. You put it into the cooking pan that goes into the oven body. I hope this is what you are asking about.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:41 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I was in Target this afternoon to buy a few outfits.

I went over and broused in the small appliance section, looking at the new Rival Roasters. One is the traditional oblong shape and the other is in the oval shape.

Both models have the benefits of letting you choose between using the stationary pan that's non-removable, or the one that can be removed!! Both have the buffet tray with three small pans for keeping foods hot. And both have a meat rack for lifting the roast out of the cooker.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:45 AM   #20
Cook

Can you use these roaster ovens to heat casseroles in a casserole dish? there is a removable rack in the roaster to set the casserole on.