2 mixers or 2 bowls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman

Senior Cook
I have a 6qt kitchen aid all ready. I dont have a lot of counter space. Any sane person would not be considering getting a second kitchen aid. Now that we have established that, for those of you who have more than one mixer...
If I get a second bowl for my 6 qt, will I kick myself later and wish that I had gone on and gotten another mixer?

Really I just want a tilt head and I am half way tempted to get a pink one to support breast cancer research and such.

But would I really be better served by getting another bowl or 2?

Unless you have some specific applications in mind where you would really need to be mixing two things at the same time with stand mixers on a frequent basis (and you have the counter space to hold two stand mixers) ... I would agree with Andy M. - get a 2nd bowl and send a check to your charity of choice.

I have a stand mixer, and a hand mixer, and that has always been adequate for all of my needs.

Also, on the "Cook for the Cure" cancer donations made by KitchAid - it ends on Oct, 31, 2006 - and you have to purchase directly from KA. You can find more information about this on the KA website.

To the contrary, I actually own THREE stand mixers.

And yes, for the the two K'Aid machines, I have two bowls. Actually, for the K45SS, it's three bowls.

The other stand mixer that I own is the Electrolux Assistant (formerly Magic Mill) DLX-2000 which has an 8-qt. SS bowl and a plastic (nylon) whipping bowl with a double-whisk assembly.

You can also get pink K'Aid mixers at Macy's if you'd like to support the Breast Cancer Foundation.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Well here is sorta the root of my question. My DW is a big fan cooking big meals. Her mom is from Georgia and they seem to be big fans of seeing how many tables they can cover with food and still have room for family and guest to sit and eat. Although if it's warm outside :) ...
My wife being the busy minor league executive is given to cooking these meals from shopping to people sitting down to eat on a count down timer. IE guest arriving at 9:30 pm friday night to eat, she went shopping at 7pm and had 7 or 8 dishes done for 7 people. Peach cobbler, collard greens, green beans and potato's, smothered chicken, smothered Vege meat, sweet potato casserole, rice, corn bread muffins, mac n cheese and sauteed zucchini and squash.
Last night, same bunch plus 2, 3 hr count down to arrival. Better than sex cake, scratch beef meat balls, oven BBQ chicken, more green beans and potatos, more sweet potato casserole, left over vege meat, left over mac and cheese ( it was a 10x15 pyrex), stuffing and something else.

What prompted the question was this. Let me see if i can remember how this went down
Use the mixer to mix the cake
cake in oven
Put bowl in dish washer on rinse cycle
Use the mixer to make the sweet potato casserole stuff
casserole stuff in oven
Put bowl in dishwasher, rinse cycle
Use mixer to mix brown sugar nut topping
dump in another bowl
rinse cycle bowl
Use the mixer to whip pudding
pudding in another bowl
rinse cycle
use mixer to whip whipped cream
cream on cake
need more BBQ sauce mix so grabbed stick blender and bowl and whipped that...
Then the oven quit.
It would broil but not bake.

In any case I'm thinking with more bowls, while one is rinsing the other can be mixing.
I know the whole more is less theory and I have pretty much broken her from cooking like that for 2 especially since most of the time there are only 2 of us. The kids are yet to come.
But I am also accepting that my wife is her mothers daughter and that one of her greatest joys in life is seeing however many people splayed on the couch stuffed, having sampled an array of food, with enough food left on the table to stuff them again a couple of times.
And I am Sous Chef :stuart:
The upside... my parents will eat real well for a couple of weeks

Corey, your my kind of Man, with the three mixers. The other thing I didnt say is we have a semi active farm... and that kitchen dosent have any space either but there we do find ourselves in situations where we are going for 20-50 people sometimes all weekend long or 6-12 people for several days. And DW isn't going to serve the same thing twice, you can snack on left overs, but at the next meal, there will be something different.

vilasman said:
Corey, your my kind of Man, with the three mixers. The other thing I didnt say is we have a semi active farm... and that kitchen dosent have any space either but there we do find ourselves in situations where we are going for 20-50 people sometimes all weekend long or 6-12 people for several days. And DW isn't going to serve the same thing twice, you can snack on left overs, but at the next meal, there will be something different.

Thank you!! How many do you own?

Yeah, I've owned the K'Aid K45SS for 20 years, and wanted to try the K5SS last winter.

Then this summer, I was curious as to how the Electrolux Assistant DLX-2000 would work, so I bought that one also. They ALL work very phenominally!!!

Two or more bowls for the mixer(s) that you have helps save time and labor because you can make a cake batter in one and beat egg whites for meringue in the other.

And BTW, that's an awful lot of people to cook for!! You and your wife must have a very big house with a huge kitchen and dining room!!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Actually we inhabit a 2 br 2 bath condo. It is a very open floor plan and we have had almost 20 people here and every one had a seat. The down side is I am running out of places to hide cookware. But I figure cookware is the only thing that will fit no matter what size house we end up in.

The kitchen, I think in total we have 4 or 5 ft of usable counter space. Not counting where the mixer lives.

I have a K/A Pro 6, 525 watt. I dont see a model number on it. I was pondering getting a 5 qt tilt head, I think it is a artisan. I think my wife might find it less of a chore to use.

I've got the KA tilt head with the bigger motor and two bowls. the spare bowl is in a plastic tub with other gear in a bin on top. I wish I had room in the galley for both bowls. I also have the splash guard, the meat grinder, and the sausage stuffer.

I brought the beaters for the hand mixer - but haven't been able to find the mixer. and I miss it. If I had the room I'd go with a second mixer and be sure to have extra bowls for each.

I can't imagine anyone needing 3 stand mixers unless they have a restaurant. I have the Kitchen Aid stand mixer, and a less expensive hand mixer, because sometimes that's all I need.
Villasman, why don't you just wash out your bowl instead of running it through the dishwasher? It's no big deal.

vilasman said:
Well here is sorta the root of my question. My DW is a big fan cooking big meals. Her mom is from Georgia and they seem to be big fans of seeing how many tables they can cover with food and still have room for family and guest to sit and eat. Although if it's warm outside :) ...
My wife being the busy minor league executive is given to cooking these meals from shopping to people sitting down to eat on a count down timer. IE guest arriving at 9:30 pm friday night to eat, she went shopping at 7pm and had 7 or 8 dishes done for 7 people. Peach cobbler, collard greens, green beans and potato's, smothered chicken, smothered Vege meat, sweet potato casserole, rice, corn bread muffins, mac n cheese and sauteed zucchini and squash.
Last night, same bunch plus 2, 3 hr count down to arrival. Better than sex cake, scratch beef meat balls, oven BBQ chicken, more green beans and potatos, more sweet potato casserole, left over vege meat, left over mac and cheese ( it was a 10x15 pyrex), stuffing and something else.

What prompted the question was this. Let me see if i can remember how this went down
Use the mixer to mix the cake
cake in oven
Put bowl in dish washer on rinse cycle
Use the mixer to make the sweet potato casserole stuff
casserole stuff in oven
Put bowl in dishwasher, rinse cycle
Use mixer to mix brown sugar nut topping
dump in another bowl
rinse cycle bowl
Use the mixer to whip pudding
pudding in another bowl
rinse cycle
use mixer to whip whipped cream
cream on cake
need more BBQ sauce mix so grabbed stick blender and bowl and whipped that...
Then the oven quit.
It would broil but not bake.

In any case I'm thinking with more bowls, while one is rinsing the other can be mixing.
I know the whole more is less theory and I have pretty much broken her from cooking like that for 2 especially since most of the time there are only 2 of us. The kids are yet to come.
But I am also accepting that my wife is her mothers daughter and that one of her greatest joys in life is seeing however many people splayed on the couch stuffed, having sampled an array of food, with enough food left on the table to stuff them again a couple of times.
And I am Sous Chef :stuart:
The upside... my parents will eat real well for a couple of weeks

I don't quite get all the dishwasher cycles.... When I'm cooking, I keep one side of the sink filled with soapy water and I rinse and/or wash as I go. If I need the same piece more than once, it only takes 15 seconds to do a quick wash and dry and it's ready for the next round.:chef:

Back
Top Bottom