"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 08-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #91
Certified Pretend Chef

When I did my remodel a few years ago, I chose a Cambria countertop. It has the look of granite but is non-porous, and is much harder and stronger. It is totally maintenance-free and only needs soap and water to clean it.

I chose it for its care-free quality. It comes with none of the usage warnings attached to granite.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #92
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Whatever counter tops you decide on, try to get one that has a lip at the front edge. My counter tops don't have that and my tummy gets wet if I use the sink for any amount of time. It's really, really annoying.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #93
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I think I'll pass on the stainless counters. And alas, my kitchen is just a bit too small for even a small island, although its more or less square shape makes it very easy to maneuver around and all counters and cabinets are within close reach. It even has room enough for two cooks if they can coordinate the dance of working without colliding.

I think I'll go for something like granite or one of the other luxury surfaces. I'm pretty sure they're very durable and easy to clean too. Unfortunately that will have to wait some significant amount of time (many months or a year or so) until I have an idea where my finances are going. So far I've been sticking to essential expenses. (Well I really did need the Wolf, you can't cook on a broken cooktop and an oven with no broiler.)

And I still have to get a decent hood. That GE hood is an eyesore and some idiot even painted it, and they painted the knobs too!

My California girlfriend remodeled her kitchen. When she went to the yard to pick out her counter top, she spotted one way down the yard and ran right to it. It is truly a work of art. It should be in a museum. She never looked at any other. Sometimes Mother Nature makes the choice for you.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #94
Executive Chef

Nice range Greg

I'm planning on going with a eco-friendly, LEEDs and NSF certified product called ECO by Consento. Eco countertops the product for the new Eco era

For the range hood, I have chosen a Broan Elite E60000. High Performance - Range Hoods - Broan
Old 08-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #95
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
Nice range Greg

I'm planning on going with a eco-friendly, LEEDs and NSF certified product called ECO by Consento. Eco countertops the product for the new Eco era

For the range hood, I have chosen a Broan Elite E60000. High Performance - Range Hoods - Broan
Okay...there would be some decisions to make on the countertops...I liked several of those colors. Partial to the darker colors. What color are you picking Beth?
Old 08-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #96
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Okay...there would be some decisions to make on the countertops...I liked several of those colors. Partial to the darker colors. What color are you picking Beth?
I have tentatively selected the Iron Ore color. My sister has the same product in Crystal Ash and hers should have been installed by now. She is at the East Coast for 3 weeks and I am missing our weekly private tour each Sunday, so I haven't seen the Crystal Ash. I hope to know if I am going with the Iron Ore after I see her installation.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #97
Certified Pretend Chef

I've had a Broan hood since February 2000. Works great and still going strong. I run the filters through the DW once a month and have had to replace them once.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #98
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I have tentatively selected the Iron Ore color. My sister has the same product in Crystal Ash and hers should have been installed by now. She is at the East Coast for 3 weeks and I am missing our weekly private tour each Sunday, so I haven't seen the Crystal Ash. I hope to know if I am going with the Iron Ore after I see her installation.
I really liked the Starlight...
Old 08-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #99
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I really liked the Starlight...

oh crap, just what I need, another option to consider

I just realized that I must be making some decisions real soon. Tomorrow I meet with the cabinet maker to let him know what cabinets I want. Sure would sleep better tonight if I knew. I need to be pulling together decisions on painted or unpainted cabinets, interior doors and baseboards. Knowing the color of the counters would help too.

Andy, the washable filters was the second thing I liked about the Broan with air movement being the first. Good to know yours is still going strong.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #100
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
oh crap, just what I need, another option to consider

I just realized that I must be making some decisions real soon. Tomorrow I meet with the cabinet maker to let him know what cabinets I want. Sure would sleep better tonight if I knew. I need to be pulling together decisions on painted or unpainted cabinets, interior doors and baseboards. Knowing the color of the counters would help too.

Andy, the washable filters was the second thing I liked about the Broan with air movement being the first. Good to know yours is still going strong.
LOL!!! But my opinion doesn't count, I'm just window shopping

Tags
cook